Batten down the hatches .....

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

Good luck to all of you in the path of the impending storm! I hope you stay safe and don't get too much damage!

It does not seem to bad for us up north, but we checked on the allotment this morning (it's completely open to the west with views for more than 12 miles) to make sure that everything was well fastened down.
peter
KG Regular

Local train company isn't running any trains until after 9am.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

We are having a few days holiday on the seafront on the south coast and relieved we are staying in brick building and not in a caravan, which I see people have been told to avoid so I imagine some people's half term holiday plans will have been disrupted. But we will have torches at the ready in case of power failures and mobile phones are being charged up just in case, When we return home though I do not expect to find my little mini plastic greenhouse still standing. Or any of my cloches still intact,
John
KG Regular

Put the sandbags out this afternoon along the front of the house and have cleared the drains.
Keeping our heads down tonight - probably get up in the early hours to check things.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It does't seem quite as bad out there as they were predicting, let's hope so anyway!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Blowing like the clappers here in this part of Essex.
retropants
KG Regular

flipping windy early this morning, this followed hours of torrential rain. trees down and flooding in Hampton. I have no idea what is still in one piece at the allotment, I'm sure my mum will pop down to check.
Westi
KG Regular

House intact but lost another roof pane on my greenhouse. Went down to lottie to secure everything in the afternoon and found my netting & black plastic all off but thankfully caught up in the fence - this was before the storm so will be interesting to see what's left now!

Few trees down on the way to work but none over the road so all in all we have been let off lightly!

Westi
Westi
Weed
KG Regular

We were lucky the worst of it missed Leicestershire... we had an inch of rain but hardly any wind to speak of.
The work I did battening down the hatches (sealing all the greenhouse glass gaps) on Sunday morning proved unnecessary ...mind you it was a job I have been putting off for ages
I was half expecting my greenhouses to be spread over several plots today, although I haven't yet been to the site I am assuming everything is OK.
I feel so sad for those of you that have suffered from the weather in the last couple of days.
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Stephen
KG Regular

I expect to get to the 'lottie on Wednesday.
The Chilterns were periferal to the storm but still decently breezy.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Despite 99mph winds off the Needles all OK here. Sheds and glasshouses all fine up the allotment. Cleared the rest of the summer crops yesterday including some horizontal bean sticks so it must have got a bit breezy!
Geoff
KG Regular

How are you doing Ric(h)ard with this second storm? Testing the greenhouse?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Funny how they made all the storm warnings the week before and nothing this weekend. There were much stronger winds here with corrugated sheets and plant pots flying all over the place accompanied by heavy downpours. I was amazed when the people across the road went ahead and had their bonfire party anyway. No idea how they managed to set all their fireworks off. Nice to watch the display from our front window though.
Westi
KG Regular

Isn't it amazing how the apples stay on the trees despite the gales?

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

You are right, PP, about the strong winds on Saturday night which they DIDN'T forecast for us. Most of our fuchsia pots (pottery pots not plastic) were toppled, luckily none broken. And the rain lashed the windows ...

As a complete opposite, today started with -2C, car and greenhouse covered in thick frost but then it turned gorgeously sunny with a slight NW breeze. Took No. 1 granddaughter, on a short break from University, out to lunch and enjoyed the beautiful autumn colouring at RHS garden Harlow Carr.

Rain forecast for tomorrow, just when I was planning to spread the manure!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic