Casablanca 1st/2nd early

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Catherine
KG Regular

We grew Casablanca potatoes this year. Never ever again. No matter how you cook them they go to mush in the water. I have steamed them, boiled them and tonight I cooked them in brown dish layered with onion and herbs and spices. When we got them out of the oven they were just water mush. They are tasteless. Has anyone else ever grown them?
John P
KG Regular

Hello Catherine,I have heard of them but never grown them,and after your judgement on them I never will. JP.
Westi
KG Regular

Never heard of them either! Thanks for the advice to avoid them! :)

Westi
Westi
Colin Miles
KG Regular

I grew them this year for the first time and will do so again next year. Had them in pots in the greenhouse for the real earlies, except that this year that was a bit like having them outside, and a few genuinely outside. Reasonable yield and tasted good. I believe they are supposed to be a first early so maybe they don't keep.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Sounds like your Casablancas have "done a Majestic". Majestic was the variety de jour for a while in the late 70s. It had come up trumps in previous years' trials. But the summers those years had been warm and dry; when business had got back to normal, weather-wise, later in the decade, Majestic turned to mush for gardeners because it took on too much water. I think it's still grown, but at least now growers know what to expect and its correct husbandry — in all other respects it is a worthwhile variety.
Irrigation can have a bearing on the quality of a spud, for some varieties more than others. Me, I am very sparing with watering my potatoes, to keep them firm and dense. Yield may be compromised, but it's quality I'm looking for.
Allotment, but little achieved.
realfood
KG Regular

They will be fine microwaved. I do all my potatoes in the micro. Floury ones are fabulous.
Catherine
KG Regular

I dont think I over watered them this summer. Microwaving is the only method I have not tried. I have done steaming over a pan and simmering in a pan. So I will try this method.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic