purple sprouting seeds

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

bubble-gum
KG Regular

Would like to say hello to all members. This is my 1st time on here so bear with me!!
We love purple sprouting but have a polytunnel where we dont have much room so I'm asking if anyone knows of any seeds you can buy to grow some dwarf bushes. Ive seen them all in the fields where I live but not to buy in the shops can anyone help please many thanks H.
Redfox
KG Regular

Hi and welcome to the forum :) .
Can't help you with the querie though no doubt someone else will.
Jane
bubble-gum
KG Regular

Thx jane no worries :)
John
KG Regular

Hello BG
Wecome on board the forum.
I don't know of any dwarf PS varieties but a few year's ago I was very late sowing and planting out my PS. I hadn't expected much but the plants grew well but much smaller and eventually produced a good crop in the spring.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Beryl
KG Regular

Welcome bubble-gum. I don't know of a dwasrf purple sprouting either but
I always give some of my plants to a friend and her soil is very hard and clayey. She never plants them very deep and always has short stocky plants that produce far more than mine although all from the same seed.

Are you sure they were PS and not dwarf Curley Kale? Equally delicious and crops all winter.

Beryl.
KG Regular

Do the purple sprouting plants have to go in the polytunnel - I plant mine without cover - other than netting to stop the pigeons and they normally do very well? Just wondering
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Bubble-gum,
A hearty welcome.
I do not know of a dwarf variety of PSB but you will have seen plants in fields which are growing without any support and therefore appear to be dwarf varieties. Most PSB varieties can obtain a height of 4ft but there is no reason why you cannot grew them as cordons on the slant to reduce height in a tunnel. As 1066 has said do the plants have to be in the tunnel because I feel that they would do better in the open. Most of the older varieties need frost to initiate the blooming and I have grown broccoli for many moons but never in my tunnels.
JB.
bubble-gum
KG Regular

Thx for the info but we grow our veggies in the poly as its in our back garden and we dont have room to plant outside the poly.
Flanjamin
KG Regular

You could try planting them closer together than usual - that's how I used to ensure my cabbages weren't unsellable monsters, I assume it would work for PSB too, although yields may be lower.
Wicky
KG Regular

Could someone tell me how tall they grow please, it's not on the packet :roll: do they need staking? Thanks a lot
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Wicky,
Depending on variety. PSB can grow to 48" with the old traditional spring varieties but some of the summer varieties are considerably smaller.
JB.
Wicky
KG Regular

Thanks JB
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic