Slugpellets & potatoes??

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

For the last two years, I have had some slug damage to my spuds - especially those still inthe ground at the end of summer.

My neighbour says he always sows his with some slug pellets in the soil around them.

I am happy to try this, but wondered whether pellets would sustain their effect over the growing season of spuds (itwas the ones harvested in the autumn that had the worst damage).

Also, I was keen to dig some compost round my seed potatoes, but understand that compost also attracts slugs.

How do you guys tackle slugs?
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Colin

I tried this method and, frankly, found very little difference. You're going to get some slug damage. I either lift the crop all at once and store them or I takes my chances and leave them in the ground. I just discard the ones that have damage on them.

Or, you can keep them all, nothing wrong with a bit of protein :twisted:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

lizzie wrote:Or, you can keep them all, nothing wrong with a bit of protein :twisted:

Mmmm. I have trouble getting my wife to eat a potato that isn't completely clean and white. I think Id have to tempt the slugs out first and cook them separately (maybe with some herbs & garlic) to get away with your approach.

Anyone else got any views on minimising slug damage? It's hard since all the advice says keep spuds well watered to get the best results.
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Try the caffeine trick. Buy the cheapest instant coffee powder you can find and make up a solution in a watering can that looks like weak tea with out the milk.

Water around your spuds every 2 weeks and the slugs move house as they cannot stand the caffeine. I tried this least year and got a good clean crop.

HTH

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Arnie
KG Regular

Morning Jerry,
You learn something new everyday :D I think I will give it ago, I wonder what other crops would benefit from it.

Regards

Kevin :wink:
sandersj89
KG Moderator

I works with carrots too, not for fly protection where I rely on fleece, but it again deters slugs.

Might also work in the ornamental garden for things like hosta's but have not tried that yet.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
vivie veg
KG Regular

My deterent against slugs are my ducks.

I let them have free range over freshly turned soil, or as the picture shows a load of compost just put into a plastic greenhouse. They deal with anything small enough to be eaten! and delicious eggs as a by-product.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
lizzie
KG Regular

I was joking Garlic Guy.

The point is, you have slugs well below the level of the planted spuds that never see the light of day. Some don't even get near the slug pellets.

I didn't know about the coffee thing so will give it a bash. However, if i've got some spuds that the slugs have had a go at, does it really matter? Pick them out or put them on the compost. In the end, you've still got a harvest of superb tasting tatties.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Beccy
KG Regular

I'm not sure if it is the caffeine, but tea works just as well. And if you drop slugs in tea or coffee they don't crawl out, and end up tanned (like leather).

We use tea and coffee dregs to water all our patio pots of herbs and ornamentals including the hosta and it does help alot. It doesn't completely stop the snails though.
George the Pigman

One of my fellow allotmenteers swears blind that sulphate of ammonia is the answer to the slug problem. He sprinkles it libearally in the trench into which he puts his spuds. As well as feeding them he says it bumps them off!
He has so impressed us on the plot that I and another plotholder are doing a small experiment to test it out!
Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Tigger
KG Regular

No - but we will do so now!!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic