Possible new hoe?

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

donedigging
KG Regular

I am looking into treating myself with a new hoe this year and I quiet like the look of this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haxnicks-Speed- ... 898&sr=8-1 (not the price, I can get it cheaper else where)
but as its still quiet expensive I would appreciate any thoughts or feed back from anyone that has any experience of one please.

From the sites I have read reviews from, they are quiet mixed.
Many thanks
donedigging
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Donedigging, i haven't seen or used this model but, quite a few of the reviews seem rather negative in a big way. I think the points they are mentioning are probably worth taking on-board.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
John
KG Regular

Hello DD
Don't know about this particular hoe but my favourite by a long way is the Wolf push-pull weeder. This has also had some good comments on forum. There are two sizes available which are interchangeable on a selection of different length handles.
Online prices, say at Amazon or Garden4less, are better than garden centres which only have them top price usually.

John
Last edited by John on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Geoff
KG Regular

I must be losing it, I thought there was a hoe review in KG but can't spot it in the index back to 2008. I like my simple lightweight Dutch hoe that I have had for many years. I think it is Wilkinson but can't see a label so it may not be.
Nice to dream that a hoe might be some use this season!
Tony Hague
KG Regular

+1 for the Wolf push-pull weeder. It is my favourite too, for reasons I'm sure I've gone on about at length at least once before ...
Monika
KG Regular

I also like my Dutch hoe and, as I have mentioned several times before, it was made by Elwell, is at least 40 years old and as sharp as a Japanese sushi knife - brilliant.
When the soil is wetter and heavier, I also use a sort of double hoe by Gardena, straight blade on one side and two prongs when you turn it over, also a very useful tool. The same system also includes a three-pronged hoe which I use for breaking up larger clods and preparing seed beds.
donedigging
KG Regular

Thank you all for your comments,
I am still in two minds about it as it does come with a 10 year guarantee.
Another excuse to re visit the garden centre tomorrow :wink:
donedigging
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Donedigging, maybe the would let you take it ride a test run. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
donedigging
KG Regular

Dear OH, now that's a good idea, I will ask tomorrow :)
donedigging
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic