Planting onion sets

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Is it too early to plant them? Will they be frost resistant like the shallots which I planted about a week ago? Unsure if onions share their hardy properties although they're from the same family
glallotments
KG Regular

I'm starting shallot and onions sets in modules in the cold greenhouse as our soil is still very wet. This has worked for me in the past
Tigger
KG Regular

Me too. Mine are in an unheated pollytunnel in modules.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
it can be a good idea to start off onion sets under protection but; and it is a big but, they cannot receive any check due to cold temperatures when they are planted out. The reason being is that they will try to bolt and be useless for keeping. This applies especially to red onion sets which will bolt for the slightest provocation anyway.
So if you want to do this it would be a good idea to use some fleece over the tops when they have been planted out to allow them to gently adjust to being outside.
Regards Sally Wright.
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks for the advice Sally. Yes, mine are red onion sets so as I don't have a greenhouse I shall exercise patience and delay planting for a while. Shame because the sun is shining this morning, and I am SO eager to get out there and get going again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic