Early Winter bits & bobs?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you both.

Phoned the Hospital this morning, and Mum had a good night, so i'm very pleased. When i phoned the nurse asked who was calling, so she could say who had rung, so i said, it's her favourite Son, Craig. :) Let's hope that made them both smile.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Alan - oh yes - so predictable! :) :) :)

Westi
Westi
John P
KG Regular

OH,Not been on for a while,just seen news,please accept my heartfelt best wishes for your mum.JP.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Cheers JP, my Mum is progressing as well as can be expected. The operation turned out to be a larger one than they were hoping for.

Primrose
KG Regular

Just dug up my first leeks this morning. They're much smaller than normal. With all the recent rain it was like trying to dig in a swamp but they certainly came out of the ground easily !
Jude
KG Regular

OH, hope your mum gets better soon, all the best. Jude
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
Gerry
KG Regular

OH, please add my best wishes to all the others.
Regards, Gerry.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning all, just to let you know that Mum came out of Hospital last night, "not that i was over pleased with her deciding that", but she did ring before 6am this morning to say she was up and about, so pleased with that...I think...

Just got to try and stop her over doing it now, as if. :)

So thank you all for your kind comments and wishes.

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Just looked out of the window. Bucketing down. Wonder if there will be a hose bane next year. Should I get another water barrel. Problems, all problems. :roll: :roll:
Stephen
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Morning all, just to let you know that Mum came out of Hospital last night, "not that i was over pleased with her deciding that", but she did ring before 6am this morning to say she was up and about, so pleased with that...I think...

Just got to try and stop her over doing it now, as if. :)

So thank you all for your kind comments and wishes.

That's mostly good news, I'm not sure I want anyone calling me at 6am, however well they feel! :lol:
Delighted your mother is out of hospital.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It's funny how i often get in trouble with cook over food, the other day i asked if i could have some of the burnt stuffing off the top, instead calling it crispy. And just now i past a compliment on some bread pudding, and it turned out it is Chesnut and Apricot stuffing, cook was experimenting with for Christmas day. :oops: :)

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

She could serve some as stuffing and the rest with custard and save time on dessert.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Plumpudding, now there's a thought.... :)

Evening Clive, are you managing to keep on top of things at work this year, as i'm really struggling, especially in the two large gardens i do.
I haven't even started the hedge cutting yet.

Clive.
KG Regular

Pleased to read that Mum is doing ok Old H.... I suspect she will be taking it as easy as my Mum does....not. :wink:

At work we've been moving furniture today....cottage to house...it was an ask for Jan/Feb...but my reasoning is that we are at a stop with a lot of jobs and it seemed sense to get furniture done and hope to be on garden catch up in Jan/Feb.!

The state of things with the weather etc has been getting me down...as we have not touched most of the herbaceous borders and really we are a month behind, far worse than last year. We could just cut them all down and hope but they need proper attention...slow careful forking between plants, splitting as required and try to remove all those unwanted things that get in borders.!!

In reality we are far far better off than all the flooded parts of the country so I shouldn't complain but it just seems to dry a little, like it did this afternoon and I think...Yay, we can get on tomorrow..and then on the way home tonight it rained again.!

Had an unprecedented happening today..a blow out on one of "my" newer wheelbarrows... :shock:

I was steaming up the middle kitchen garden path with a load of spent compost from the stone troughs and suddenly there was such a shotgun like bang and the barrow ground to a halt.
On inspection there is a hole ripped in the tube and sidewall.... :shock:

Had slow punctures and quicker rose thorn ones but never a blow out.!!

Clive.
Attachments
Barrow blow out 27-11-12.jpg
Barrow blow out 27-11-12.jpg (57.73 KiB) Viewed 4108 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Clive, i know it's probably wrong, but i do feel a little better knowing that it's not just me that's behind. I really have struggled all year to keep on top of the jobs, even though i have been working harder than normal. I still have bulb planting to complete tomorrow, 1200 crocus bulbs in a lawn, plus the normal jobs.

You are quite right though, we are very lucky compared to some, so i shouldn't grumble really...

Now the blow out in the barrow, that is something i do know about, had the same event a while back half way down the village, i didn't know which way to go. :)

Please send my kindest regards to your Mum, for me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic