Who's voting today in the Police Commissioner elections?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Colin, now that is a very good reason for voting, i hadn't really thought along those lines.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Didn't vote - but seemed only one candidate around here so although tempted to vote for the other guy (if there was one) I don't know enough about them or their principals, background etc. Next general election though they will be gone I should think - & that is not too long away.

Westi
PS Is that un-PC not to just vote for a party but an individual - too much at stake in this - our police force for goodness sake :!:
Westi
WestHamRon
KG Regular

I recently opted for postal voting.
I have received no information regarding the candidates named on the ballot paper and more importantly, no information as to why politicians should be in control of my local polce force.
I crossed through the entire list and wrote:
None. I disagree with politicising the police.
I wouldn't have made the trek to a polling booth to do this, however.
Johnboy
KG Regular

WHAT A FARCE!
For the very first time ever I deliberately spoiled my voting slip.
I wrote across the slip that the entire election is a total farce and quite a few other comments which are not suitable for forum members. Using the Queens English without any naughty words.
There is a voting station in the next village 1.5 miles away yet my voting station is 6 miles away. So I drove 12 miles to register my protest.
I didn't know anything about the candidates because none of them had sent any leaflets about themselves. I haven't even received the government pamphlet that everybody was supposed to receive.
I can hardly think that this is an election in this country and not a third world country. The whole episode has been so appallingly managed.
I thought that it was only this area but it appears that the total mismanagement is nation wide.
JB.
alan refail
KG Regular

13.5% turnout in Greater Manchester!
Seems like 86.5% have a clear message for this cobbled together government!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Colin Miles wrote:My daughter and son-in-law in Bedford are voting today, otherwise there is a danger the BNP candidate may get in!

Is that the BNP or BFP (British Freedom Party) ? We had no leaflets or whatever, just some mugshots in the local paper. I thought that in the photo the BFP candidate had an "angry man" look that you might more expect to find in the cells, not guarding the door !
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Tony - looking at the list of candidates you are probably right - BFP not BNP, but looking at his credentials and affiliations (EDL) maybe not so different.
glallotments
KG Regular

I've just emailed my MP explaining why I didn't vote. I don't want to be just counted as apathetic!
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I suppose I could e-mail mine, too. She might read it when she gets back from p**tting around eating kangaroo testicles :roll:
Primrose
KG Regular

Well seeing that there still seems to be a number of MPs who are pushing the expenses claiming system to the ultimate limit I think a diet of humble pie would be equally appropriate.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

We had plenty of information about the candidates on-line, but there was no independent candidate. I object to political parties backing Police Commissioners and considered writing none of the above on the voting slip. In the end I abstained but feel quite bad about not using my vote.

I suppose we will have more idea if the post is effective when it has been in operation for a couple of years, but the cost of the elections and the salaries involved seem extremely wasteful when you think how many extra policemen it would pay for.
alan refail
KG Regular

Spend £100,000,000 on an election for something nobody wants (not that they asked whether we did) then spend even more investigating why nobody voted!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20374139

I predict a larger turnout at the general election! Roll on 2015 and a Labour landslide!!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Well I did manage to glean information from the internet on all candidates , all had said they had no plans to privatise policing, only one candidate was independent and there was something about him that came over as very establishment and I was not inspired to vote for him. As I had no wish to see policing privatised I went to the polling station explained this on my vote like westi - spoiling my vote. The result is our area is now under conservative policies and looking at what they have done to the health service I just don't believe what she said about no plans to privatise ! To be fair she looked quite a decent candidate and had she stood as independent I might have voted for her, but as I know she will have to follow conservative party line I just wrote a big NO against all candidates and keep party politics out of policing - all to no avail because on a very small vote they now have the power ! I wonder how long before they start profiting by selling it off piecemeal !
LOL Johnboy it was my first spoiled vote too!
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Tony Hague
KG Regular

A big "well done" from me to all those who spoiled their ballot paper. I regret that I didn't, so my not voting could be dismissed as "apathy". Personally, I think that it is poor of politicians to blame a low turnout on voter apathy - rather, they should accept their failing to engage the electorate.
Primrose
KG Regular

I gather there have been more spoiled ballot papers in this election than in most other elections which ought to give out a message. I believe there was also a polling station somewhere in Wales where not a single voter turned out.
It's has probably also been "Reality week-end" for all the elected candidates as they wade through their new duties and commitments and find that most of them are totally unskilled and unprepared for the roles.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic