Quiet, quiet forum - is this a record?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

Saturday 6 October 2012. Only TWO posts, and both of those in the dead of night. Thee has been very little activity of late, but yesterday must be a record (not a good one).
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

After the lovely weather yesterday, maybe everyone is suffering from sunburn. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

Mmmm, wish it were so OH.

Not done anything much of a gardening nature this week, harvested my meagre crop of winter squash yesterday and went through my potato sacks looking for any rot.

Sorting out some tenancy issues on my site. Never ever share an allotment. It always ends in tears. :(
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Colin Miles
KG Regular

A sunny day - so unusual! I nearly posted but...

Why - the start of a 'healthy' crop of blackfly on my runners - at this time of year! Should I leave them for any ladybirds that might be around, or the tits if they can be bothered, or remove them in case they overwinter?
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

if you want ladybirds to protect next years crop maybe let them feast ! :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Beryl
KG Regular

Not really been much to talk about except the weather but in between showers I have had 2 3 ton loads of manure and filled my bins, . Emptied 2 compost bins and spread it on all vacant ground in the last week.

Had a good day at the Michaelmas Fayre week yesterday, standing in the cold selling produce, flowers, plants and preserves but we raised well over £350 for the lottie assoc. so well worth it.

It has been a beautiful week-end here and I've had 2 good days on the allotment getting a lot of tidying up done. Autumn is on it's way.
Beryl.
Clive.
KG Regular

Apple Day today...the sun shone and a good crowd of visitors attended. :)

..and Spitfire MJ627 was about too. :)

No photos of the Spitfire :wink: ...but here are the Apples taken just after I had got them set out. 48 varieties, all growing in the Gardens,...but 8 appearing by photo only this year.
I admit that 2 varieties came from home as they were better examples than we had at work and one came from a tree in the next village. :wink:

Clive.
Attachments
Apple Day display. 2012.jpg
Apple Day display. 2012.jpg (57.58 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
Apple Day display, 2012.jpg
Apple Day display, 2012.jpg (57 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
Clive.
KG Regular

I should add that one plate of Apples were Pears.... :?

Clive.
Attachments
Apple Day Pears...jpg
Apple Day Pears...jpg (34.55 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
Beryl
KG Regular

Fantastic Clive. Considering what a difficult year it has been they all look delicious.
Hope you had a very successful day with lots of visitors.

Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Clive, a wonderful display as always, i do hope everyone appreciates all the work you put into these open days.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Wow Clive - they look great! Hope your apple day was a great success!

Westi
Westi
Catherine
KG Regular

Fabulous apples Clive. I did think the forum was quiet, but maybe everyone is busy with other things at the moment. Our garden is finished for this year with the frost and rain. I thought I had seen torrential rain before but this last few weeks I have seen the worst rain ever. Our allotment and garden have been ruined.

We have spent the weekend with our grand daughter and her dog Honey. (Bassett hound) My daughter is away for a few days and we have been spending our time walking GD and dog. Brilliant. Tomorrow I am going to spend the day in the garden and allotment and walking the dog. Weather permitting. :D
Clive.
KG Regular

I hear that we had 478 visitors on Apple Day last Sunday. :)

Trying to catch up a bit at home today....have been shuffling bits of paper about :roll: ....but have also got the new Strawberries planted this morning. :)

We used to replace them every year as we grow a fast growing variety, Tamella, but last year left them down a second year.

I have deeply dug the area where we had the Radio Peas...and then Mum spread some very well rotted compost from the heap which I forked into the top of the ground and this morning planted up the new Tamella. :)

Only 14 plants this year in effort to scale back a bit :( and try to keep things manageable.

Clive.
Attachments
Tamella 13-10-12.jpg
Tamella 13-10-12.jpg (88.36 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

My contributions since joining this forum have been mostly about sharing problems, thankfully a few successes.

The last two weeks I haven't had any time to spend on my beds in preparation for the onions and garlic. (When they arrive) Its all been about cutting back dead growth, collecting it, bashing all the seed-heads on the annual wildflowers. Growing more wildflower in pots is very time consuming and not as easy as you would think in case of some wildflowers.

I started a second compost bin just for course grindings out of the shredder mixed with grass, I don't really know how thats going to work out.

All-in-all i'm not even half way through my autumn trimming and cutting back, then there are all the bulbs, alliums mostly with some wood-anenomes and a 25 kilo sack of daffs for the St Davids day display everyone puts on around these parts even if they're not Welsh.

Winter salad is growing but it's very leggy in a cold-frame...
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Catherine
KG Regular

I'm on holiday in Wales :D with very limited access to the internet. :shock: Will be back next week. Walked up Blorenge near Abergavenney today, brilliant. Weather fab. Next week back to sorting the garden out and cutting back everything and planning for next year. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic