Watercress for winter

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I did subsequently experiment with trying to grow some in a large pot but it wasn't really successful, so I've now switched to rocket which has a similar peppery flavour and it both less difficult to row and much easier to store. It also seems less vulnerable to low temperatures, if grown in a sheltered spot.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I also plant watercress for winter, it does root very easily in water. Last summer I let some land cress seed and it sprouted very early this year loads of leaves for weeks now for salads and sandwiches, the rain has plumped the early radishes too/
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Colin_M
KG Regular

As a second-best option, Land Cress can work quite well.

I grew some 2 years ago and it cropped for a long tome and tasted good. I've just got some seedlings started again. One thing that suits my garden is that it loves a dark, shaded border where little else will grow, saves me weeding it and gives me some salad into the bargain!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic