sowing on the allotment

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

shedboy
KG Regular

hello everone as january has been so mild have you planted anything yet in your allotment...if you have what have you put in.....me i have not put anything in just yet..still a little early, and the weather is not too good for the next 2 weeks.... lots of frost and snow...
Beryl
KG Regular

I never start before March and then only in the greenhouse except for potatoes then probably mid-March onwards. Anything sown in cold wet soil will only rot. Be patient.

Beryl.
pongeroon
KG Regular

I'm the same as Beryl. Anything sown a bit later will usually catch up anyway. 8)
glallotments
KG Regular

We never start 'til March either. We're certain to get at least one cold snap before then
alan refail
KG Regular

glallotments wrote:We never start 'til March either. We're certain to get at least one cold snap before then

And it seems we are just starting on one.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... ltext.html
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
donedigging
KG Regular

Last Sunday I sowed a row of early carrots, Amsterdam 2 - solo.
It was still mild then :roll:
All covered with fleece now, but no big problem if they don't come up.
Live and learn :)
donedigging
futrot
KG Regular

Still a bit wet here but getting itchy fingers when mild. Soon start with onion sets followed by carrots and half a dozed spuds under fleece sometimes you win and you get new spuds ealy May
Monika
KG Regular

After years of bitter experience, I would certainly advise ... DON'T!

Every year I am itching to start, but it's much too early, because even if you can provide the warmth, the natural light levels are still too low to keep any seedlings growing sturdily. I now shackle my hands and eagerness and wait until March or so - the only exception being the shallots, onions and sweet peas which will be sown in mid-February, initially on the windowsill.
jane E
KG Regular

Planted garlic today and now I'm hoping for a cold snap because it'll need a period of vernalisation.
Geoff
KG Regular

I usually deep dig the Potato bed in January then sheet it over with polythene. When I plant it, half first week of March half first week of April, I add a little more compost to each trench. I'm wondering as it is so wet about just sheeting it over then using more compost at planting time. It was well composted for Squashes etc. last year and as they did nothing shouldn't have taken much out, although the rain will have done.
I hardly sow anything direct and what I do will be months away yet.
Colin_M
KG Regular

We're luckier than some of you folk farther North.

Put my shallot sets into the allotment a couple of weeks ago and started my climbing peas off last week. These had germinated by the end of the week and are now in an unheated "upright" plastic greenhouse, whilst they develop some legs. I also sowed my Banana shallot seeds a week ago and they're in the same place.

Serve me right to do this as we get a cold snap after weeks of mild weather. However I started my peas at the same time in the last 2 years when it had been much colder and they were still happy.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Well for anyone reading my last post and thinking "smart alec", you were right.

All my pea seedlings in the mini greenhouse have rotted from the hard frosts we had in Feb. The shallots aren't showing any life yet, though I have yet to check whether they've gone the same way.

So I've just re-sown a new lot of peas :(
Jude
KG Regular

Think you are very honest, I'd have probably kept quiet in your situation! :oops:
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic