No dig course

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

AdeTheSpade
KG Regular

Just returned from a day's course on the no-dig method of growing with Charles Dowding (as a result of a post on this forum) - I'm delighted to say it's given me so many answers to key questions/niggling doubts, and I now have loads more confidence to manage my plot better - and now I'm raring to go!! :D :D
peter
KG Regular

Ade, single most useful or important thing you learnt? :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Ade, glad you enjoyed the course, and found it useful.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

No-dig was the latest rediscovered rage in the 50's according to Shewell-Cooper.
AdeTheSpade
KG Regular

OK - Peter - single most useful thing I learnt was..... to put 1 - 2" layer of own compost/well rotted manure (he uses cow manure but any is fine) over the beds when they were cleared (without digging in of course), before sowing another crop or for overwintering. This keeps the soil clean of weeds, as well as feeding it and improving the structure. Also he doesn't worry too much about crop rotation - he feels that if your soil is kept healthy (by mulching with said manure/compost, then there will be fewer pests and diseases and so the crop rotation becomes less vital. There were so many other things I learnt though, which are all really going to help me so much - from knowing how best to do things, to when to do them, etc etc - I could go on and on!! :D
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Ade, i think with a lot of things in life is, if someone can show you first hand, it's so much better than just reading about it.
Things just seem to fall into place then.

Maybe you could let us all know latter on in the year, how things are going with the no-dig gardening.

AdeTheSpade
KG Regular

I completely agree OH, it did all fall into place once he'd shown us how etc. It all now seems so much simpler!!
And as you rightly say, so much easier than reading about it. Having said that, his book: "Charles Dowding's Vegetable Course" (which I did buy) is very clearly and logically laid out, which I'm sure will serve to remind me of anything I may forget.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Having more gardening books than I wish to own up to, I'll have to Gurgle on this no-dig idea. I have heard of it before but your communication has rekindled an interest. :) Cheers, Tony.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

That's really interesting. I bought his book following reading about it here and have been starting to put the "no dig" into practice, but find it really difficult not to start digging things over when I'm clearing the ground.

I've started leaving my favourite border fork in the shed and making myself take the hoe and rake out instead. Any more ideas from you would be very welcome.
AdeTheSpade
KG Regular

Well, doing the no dig certainly frees up time to do more pleasant things (in my view anyway!) like sowing, planting, harvesting etc! I highly recommend going on one of his courses (they're only one day) if Somerset isn't too far away for people - it was just brilliant - as well as perhaps getting any of his books. Like Tony I have too many gardening books, but this one seems to answer so many questions and uncertainties that I had about no dig.
Beryl
KG Regular

I've been using this method for a good many years now. You do need to have a good plentyful supply of manure/compost but it really does save a whole lot of back breaking work digging and weeding.

Beryl.
Geoff
KG Regular

AdeTheSpade - don't forget to tell us your new user name when you report back.
AdeTheSpade
KG Regular

I know - I've just been thinking that myself!! I'll still need a spade I suppose for some things tho. Actually my sister used to call me that when we were little, so think I'll keep the name anyway :wink:
alan refail
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:AdeTheSpade - don't forget to tell us your new user name when you report back.

Douglas?
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Geoff and Alan, i must say you both seem to be on full form this afrenoon.
Wet weather seems to inspire you both. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic