Possible Leek Moth Deterrent.

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Parsons Jack
KG Regular

On our allotment site, we have been plagued by leek moth once again this year. Some people just gave up and ditched the plants, others, like myself, cut the leeks down to healthy growth and let them start again. After cutting mine down 4 times I have now got some reasonably decent leeks growing. They won't be as large as normal, but better than nothing.

However, one of the old boys ( he's a bit older than me :) ) decided to give his a sprinkle with comfrey tea every few days.
Out of his approx 50 leeks, only a few got attacked, and those only minimally. He cut back the attacked ones and they have re-grown healthily again.
All of his leeks now are a rich green and very healthy looking, far different to any others on the site.
Perhaps the smell of the comfrey tea put the moth off the scent of the leeks, or perhaps the moth caterpillar couldn't stand the taste, but something has certainly made a difference.

Might be worth a try next year :D
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks PJ. Sounds interesting, as you say anything is worth trying the devastation the moth causes.

Beryl.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Thank you for that PJ, i was down your way the other day, took mum a trip out for a picnic at Romney wild life reserve and dropped off a manuka plant and seeds for them, they will withstand coastal winds, do you know Mike?
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Nature's Babe wrote:Thank you for that PJ, i was down your way the other day, took mum a trip out for a picnic at Romney wild life reserve and dropped off a manuka plant and seeds for them, they will withstand coastal winds, do you know Mike?

Hi NB,

If that is the one near New Romney on the A259, then I go past it every day. As yet though, I haven't got around to visiting. I really must go and have a look one day :)
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic