Possible Honey Fungus in Compost heap

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

WoodyLord
KG Regular

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can give me some advice about possible Honey Fungus infection. We have a large buddleia next to our compost heap - something (squirrel or rat) has in the last couple of years built a cone of compost next to the wooden sides bridging the gap with the tree.

I eventually got round to emptying the bin adjacent to the tree and have spread the compost on the veg patch removing most of what I took to be the buddleia roots in the bottom part of the compost. I heard Gardeners question time and realised they weren't roots - however they don't smell of mushrooms when broken and I can't see fruiting bodies above ground by the buddleia. The strong bootlace type things in the heap are reddish brown with a white inside and lower in the ground there seem to be proper buddleia roots - look woody. I also realise that the bottom side wall is rotten (due to the pile up of compost on the outside I presume) so they've had plenty to feed on if it is honey fungus.

Am going to use a patio cleaner to innoculate the compost bin, buddleia and surrounding area and wooden sides of the raised beds but would like some advice about the stuff I've put on the veg patch. Presumably (I hope) without a woody host they will die??? I'm completely horrified that I didn't realise what they were and really annoyed with myself for not getting to grips with the squirrel heap sooner. I wonder about lining the bin with strong plastic as also want to reuse it this year if possible? Any advice on this too gratefully received.
Sorry for the long posting,
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.
All the best,
Helen
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Yes without a woody host they die, burn any affected wood though, peel back the bark to check, here is an article which helps confirm it actually is honey fungus.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Pro ... px?pid=180
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
WoodyLord
KG Regular

Thanks so much for your reply. We've checked more carefully and can't see other symptoms and the buddleia looks really healthy. So I've got my fingers and toes crossed it's just buddleia roots or some other fungus which is less harmful. Any advice about what to do with the compost bin as I do need to turn the overflowing heap next to it?
Many thanks,
Helen
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Helen, I would go ahead and use or turn the compost whatever it needs.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
WoodyLord
KG Regular

Thanks - have had another dig about behind the bin and I reckon it could be bramble roots infiltrating the bin. They did really look like the pictures of the rooty things on the honey fungus pics. Just means I probably now will get lots of blackberries in the veg patch! I'm going to hit the chemicals on the brambles behind the bin once the wind drops as well as some digging out.
Thanks for all your reassurance - I did really panic when I thought I'd spread something horrible throughout the garden.
All the best,
Helen
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic