showmaster onion plants (Marshalls)

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sincerity
KG Regular

This year I ordered two packs of 'Showmaster' onion plants ( they are not available as seed or sets ); each pack consists of 25 plants. I opened the packaging immediately on arrival and stood the plants on the windowsil until I had chance to plant them. Within 2 hours, my window and plants were covered in small flies - I would estimate in the region of 100. I contacted Marshalls requesting to speak to someone with knowledge of onion growing, but had a very unsatisfactory response from the telephone help team. I felt annoyed that the plants were sent out in a state of infestation and am interested to know how many other people were affected by the same problem. The onion plants are roughly £6.00 per 25 plants - not cheap. I could not believe that the plants were sent out in this condition. Further, during the time that I have received the plants, some are now showing maggot activity. My onion beds are given good preparation - starting from the previous September, I would be digusted if this work were to be :x jeopardised by the introduction of a problem pest due to poor care on the company's part. I am pursuing this complaint.