Dyer's weld

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Molly

A friend has sent me a packet of dyer's weld seeds as a Christmas gift. I looked the plant up on the Net and found that it grows on waste land - does this mean that it'll take over my garden if I sow the seeds in the borders? It is also classed as a narcotic, so is it even legal to grow it?
fen not fen
KG Regular

what is the 'latin' name? I can't find it in my bumper book of plants. I can find dyer's greenweed which is a form of broom...
If it grows on wasteland it may be invasive, but it may just mean it thrives on poor, well drained soil.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Molly and Fen,
The Latin name of Dyers Weld is Reseda luteola
and is also known as Dyers Rocket.
There are places where it grows wild in South Wales although it doesn't get a mention in many books.
It is of the Mignonette Family.
In the only picture I can find of it has flowers of a creamy yellow that are held high above the foliage in spires.
I do hope this helps you.
JB.
Molly

Thanks, both, for the feedback. The friend who sent me the seeds is a botanist and his garden is full of unusual stuff. Problem is, it's the size of a pocket handkerchief and he's constantly trying out stuff for a season or two, then pulling it out to replace it with other stuff. A couple of times in the past, he's sent me seeds of odd plants which have then tried to take over my garden (I swear one of them was a triffid as its offspring "walked" so far from where I planted it!). I will try sowing the dyer's weld in my herb plot where I can keep it under control if it decides to go looby on me!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for providing a most excellent website. One site to make a record of.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic