Grubs

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Di
KG Regular

I've been turning out the old compost from pots in readiness for potting up this years tomatoes etc. I found a number of big white grubs and wondered what they are - I don't want to go killing them if they're going to grow up into a big moth or something harmless.

They are bent in half but would be about 25mm/ 1" long if straigtened out, and about as fat as my little finger. White with big brown eyes.

Any ideas, they are far too big to be vine wheevil, which I have also found and murdered mercilessly. :twisted:
John
KG Regular

They could be vine weevil grubs but these are not as large as you say. If they are - keep on squashing! They are a real pest, as they are so destructive of roots.
Another possibility is the Chafer grub. These are not quite so destructive but I've never found them in compost.

John
Sue
KG Regular

I get loads of chafer bugs in my compost heaps and have found 1 before in an old container of compost, so could be that.

Sue
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic