potatoe leaves wilting

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

iknownothing
KG Regular

Hi
I am growing potatoes in bags for the first time (first time at growing anything!) and the leaves of the potatoe plants in one bag are beginning to wilt - there are no scorch marks and no signs of obvious insect attack they are in the middle of a row of bags (all first earlies) and all the others are ok -so far! I have used organic potaoe fertilizer and they are in a mixture of top soil and compost has any one any ideas. they have had plenty of water.
thanks
Beryl
KG Regular

If the leaves are looking a bit black I would say its the been the colds nights again. They should recover but will be a bit later harvesting.

Beryl.
iknownothing
KG Regular

thanks beryl

the leaves are still green just limp and a bit curled at the edges i've only noticed it for the first time yesterday I'll just have to wait and see maybe!! :?
Alison
John
KG Regular

Hello IKN
The problem is likely to be below ground rather than above. I would very carefully scrape away the compost from around the stems to see if you can spot anything. I don't wish to alarm you but there is a disease called blackleg that affects young potato stems. Its name just about describes its symptoms. If you think that this is what you have, I'm afraid that there is no cure available to gardeners. You will have to dispose of the plant and compost in the dustbin and not the compost bin.

Hopefully all will be well and its just a case of under or over watering.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
freddy
KG Regular

Hi. Even though you say they are watered, I'm inclined to think that they might need more. I grew some in a large pot last year, and I thought I was watering enough. When I got them out, the compost was nearly bone dry. If you can, have a poke around and see what it's like. Hope this helps.

Cheers...freddy.
The future aint all it used to be
glallotments
KG Regular

If they are growing in bags could it be that the potatoes are ready to harvest?
Colin Miles
KG Regular

I agree with Freddy. In pots it is very easy for them to dry out. I am growing mine in 13.5 litre plastic pots and in this hot weather they certainly need a good watering at least once a day.
iknownothing
KG Regular

thanks guys

have checked the stems they look healthy enough, although loads of ants in the bags maybe that one side of the bag just missed out on the watering. Will keep a close eye on them. Will keep them well watered although slightly difficult as where i live our water has been on and off for days got alloted 4.5 litres of bottled water yesterday for a family of 6!!!! anyway back on today so have given everything a good soak again.
thanks again
alison
John
KG Regular

Hello IKN
Glad to hear that your plants are healthy. It sounds as though it could be the ants that are causing dryness at the roots and wilting the plants. Although they are harmless to plant tissue it's their activity that disrupts root activity quite seriously. I've found Doff antkiller very good at getting rid of them from compost. I sprinkle it on the compost surface and give a gentle watering to carry the powder down. They may be getting in from below the bags so powder round the bags as well.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic