What could be munching on my radish leaves?

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Piglet6
KG Regular

Noticed yesterday evening that one whole leaf has been chomped by 'something' + half of the other leaf too.

Then THIS evening on my circuit, I've found BOTH leaves on another radish seedling have been munched. Fortunately the second set of leaves are beginning to grow so I'm hoping that the little radish will pull through.

I have put down slug pellets (animal-friendly ones) but I can't see any slime trails around the pot.

Any ideas 'who' it could be? Also, we have loads of ants here, could it possibly be them?
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Possibly flea beetle, they love radish, plant the next lot under fleece to prevent infestsation; you can check , smear some vaseline on a piece of card and run over the top of the leaves, the beetles jump and get stuck on the vaseline.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
freddy
KG Regular

Hi. My first thought is flea beetle too.
The future aint all it used to be
Piglet6
KG Regular

That is a very interesting tip. Thanks. On this occasion though, I seem to have found the greedy culprit. Was a bit late last night putting some stuff away in the shed and found a snail just wriggling (or however snails move!) onto the compost. Obviously thought he was in for another evenings banquet!!! He won't be dining in my garden any more! I'll remember the flea beetle tip though. :)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Piglet6, you will also find if you get flea bettle, there will lots of little holes appearing in the leaves, rather than a whole leaf going at once.

I was wondering if it was sparrows, but i'm glad you found the culprit. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic