Pipe and netting

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Allan
KG Regular

Thank you Johnboy. What length of pipe would that be per hoop? I don't suppose I will do my strawberries that way as they will be in the flowhouse this season, ventilation and protection at outdoor temperatures but one never knows what ideas will come up, more likely to be handy for keeping vermin off radicchio etc.

I could do with a lot more rain to keep my water butts filled

Allan
Johnboy
KG Regular

Allan,
I would suggest approximately 30 inches and form the tightest radius without the material creasing which means having then with the legs about 12" apart.
It really depends on how high you need them to be.
It means that you can use your otherwise redundant piping you have. I make my dowels of Hazel which is approimately round to start off with which makwes any paring you have to do so much easier. It is in plentiful supply here so the most sensible to use.
In order to get the dowels well home it is best to dip the ends in boiling water for about 5-6" then shrink fit them.
JB.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Many thanks indeed everyone. I can see I am going to have fun building the structure. I want to cover brassica's and strawberries in this way this year.

Luckily my site is not too exposed to wind.

There are a couple of gents on my site who have glavanised hoops but have never seen a supplier.

I may well get to the builders merchant this weekend to purchase the pipe and set to work.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Hi Jerry,

I use 25mm mdpe as a frame to cover my strawberries which are in raised beds 4ft across. It is more than adequate strengthwise and if you cut them longer, you get higher hoops suitable for brassicas etc. I fixed them directly do the raised beds for permanant frames and just remove the netting, or change it for fleece if growing carrots etc.

Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Thanks Piglet

Looks very good indeed.

I hope to get the basics in place soon and will be posting back with pictures so you can see how I make a mess of things!

:D

Jerry

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Piglet,
How do you seal the ends of your covers.

Hi Jerry,
For Brassicas I have wooden frames made from roofing batten the smallest 1"x3/4" in 6ft sections which can be easily removed to work or pick the crop.
I have dedicated end panels. They are 1M high and the tops are also a Metre wide and they are over a 4ft bed so the sides slope in frationally.
Sorry to uae a mixture of Imperial and Metric measurements. I work in imperial and the netting comes in Metric. The frames are gig built so are all identical. Last year with my Broccoli I had to make a combination between wooden side frames with MDPE top because the broccoli shot up to almost 41/2ft.
It all worked well as I use Anti White Fly netting.
Very expensive but to me worth every penny.
JB.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Thanks Johnboy,

I have seen similar contructions on my site and see their advantage. One of the big draw backs over brasicas with the hoops is the curved profile I think so I may try an adaption with rigid sides to achieve that.

Your movable frames sound very good but I fear I wont have time this season to knock them up, good project for the winter!

Jerry

Angi
KG Regular

Jerry, sorry I've taken so long replying. Yes, rigid pipe as shown. I buy mine from B&Q, cut each piece into three pieces. This gives enough height and although it doesn't span the width of my beds, it leaves me room to put bricks along the inside of the bed to hold the netting down.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic