Roots diseas on broad beans

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

hiroko clark
KG Regular

Over wintered broad beans weren't doing well so I dug them up yesterday and found many white beas/small balls like things on roots. Can anybody tell me what it is and how to stop happening next year?
alan refail
KG Regular

Why the beans did not do well I can't say.

But what you found were the nitrogen nodules which is the atmospheric nitrogen fixed by bacteria. A valuable addition to the soil if dug in - or the compost bin if you have pulled them up.

Have a look at THIS PICTURE which shows what you have found, I am sure. Then Google broad beans nitrogen nodules for more information.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
hiroko clark
KG Regular

Thank you, Alan.
I looked at the picture. My roots were like that.So it wasn't diseas but good thing. The beans were not doing well as leaves were wilting and not producing beans very well. I've been growing various vegetable and fruits for more than 10 years but this year's broad beans are the worst.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic