Bird scarers - problem pigeons

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

toffeeman
KG Regular

Have planted brocoli and sprouts this year for the first time. The brocoli looked superb until a recent savaging by some very heathy looking wood pigeons. I'm tempted to go Hugh Fernley-Whitingstall and bag them for the pot but have not got the stomach for it!. Any tips on effective bird scarers? Have seen a humming wire that can be tied above.

http://www.selections.com/GF336/birdsca ... OZ_XA5wXYi

Is it any good?

Any and all advice gratefully recieved.
PAULW
KG Regular

The only thing that really works is to net your crops from the pigeons.
Chantal
KG Regular

I generally net everything, but I do sometimes push sticks around the veg so the pigeons bump into these and can't reach. I also push in short canes and make a cats cradle of string between them and over the crop so again, the pigeons can't get near.

Sometimes I hang CDs on string which are fabulous when the sun shines as they flash all over the allotment.

All seem to work reasonably well.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Geoff
KG Regular

We have pigeons and doves but they have never attack my greens. I grow in 25'x10' beds and the greens have a 2½' windbreak round them. I think the birds like a clear take off so this deters them, much easier to work with than a full net. I might be just lucky, would be interested to know if anybody else has tried this.
Angi
KG Regular

No, I'm a netter. Over the years I've tried various scarers but none of them work. The pigeons on our site are great big fat things, afraid of no-one, so I assume they're eating other people's crops!
WigBag
KG Regular

My neighbour's crops have been attacked, mine haven't, I put it down to my defenses.
I have thin 4' whippy canes at each corner of my 10' by 4' beds plus one in the middle of the outside edge. I tie video tape at ground level and again at about 6". At the top I tie the thin plastic twine and dangle a CD in the middle of the four long lengths. Down the centre of the beds I place 3 plastic canes onto which I place green plastic bottles. These have a hole cut in the base and 'wings' cut in the sides so that they wizz around in a breeze.

I tried to show a photo of my brassica beds ( the 'size' ,computer capacity not dimensions, was rejected as too large). Its a bit of a belt and braces approach but makes a nice screen saver!!
WigBag
Chantal
KG Regular

I tried that idea Geoff and it has worked brilliantly. I ring fenced my lettuce this year and not one has been touched. :D Sorry, forgot to mention this in my earlier list :oops:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
toffeeman
KG Regular

Heard of the cd method before so I think I'll give that a go. Appreciate all the tips. Thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic