Contaminated Manure

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

glallotments
KG Regular

On our allotment site, we have had some problems with strange leaf growth on potatoes grown on plots that were manured last year. After much searching the Internet, it seems that the cause is herbicide residue in the manure. Apparently the herbicide will remain active for two years and will adversely affect just about anything other than the grass family. I had to search high and low for this information and wonder how many other people have had crops damaged by contaminated manure and what is being done to raise awareness of what is likely to have serious repercussions for vegetable growers. Does anyone know what the affect is likely to be when eating affected crops? I wonder how many organic growers are unaware that they are inadvertently using such destructive chemicals on their land.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Glallotments,
It would be more useful for you to name the Herbicde responsible so that we can all make our own research.
The question I ask is how did the Herbicide get into the manure in the first place?
Have you gone back to who sourced the manure to enquire what was used?
There are a number of things that do not add-up with what you are saying and before everybody gets into panic mode I feel further investigation is needed.
JB.
richard p
KG Regular

" the question I ask is how did the Herbicide get into the manure in the first place?
Have you gone back to who sourced the manure to enquire what was used?
There are a number of things that do not add-up with what you are saying and before everybody gets into panic mode I feel further investigation is needed."

jb, as a farmer you are well aware that manure contains straw from a cereal crop, which is likely to have been sprayed with a herbicide to kill broad leaved weeds. (ie anything not of the grass family )

hi glallotments, the name of the herbicide or any links to what youve found on the internet would be useful to those of us who are prepared to accept that the chemicals sometimes have unforseen side effects. regards richard.
glallotments
KG Regular

I don't know what the name of the herbicide is but I got the information from a couple of forums http://www.allotments-uk.com/forum/topi ... 901&#41429
There is also something on the RHS forum http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/blogs/vegper ... -muck.aspx
Also there is some info on internet pages based in America on regulations regarding the use of manure in compost making.
http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Pesticides/d ... tSheet.pdf
http://www.tilthproducers.org/tpqpdfs/108.pdf

Apparently it is being brought onto farms in sileage and bedding and often the farmer isn't aware that an herbicide has been used.

I am not a panic monger but it appears that we do have a serious problem. Not sure what doesn't add up. According to the Allotment UK forum Defra have confirmed this. I have also emailed DEFRA. I just wonder why we are not being made aware of all of this.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Richard,
As one who used to be involved in farming I suggest that you should know that the concentration remaining in cut straw having been sprayed at stage 3 is almost imperceptible.
I don't rule it out but the chances are millions to one and it would have to be fresh manure used which that in itself could cause what is described by Gallotments. I do not know a broad leaf herbicide that resides in the soil that long or in composted straw but I am very interested to learn.
The Potato contractors have used at least 300 tons of manure on 80 acres here and the potatoes are through and looking splendid. The straw in that manure would have had exactly the same rate applied to it as the manure acquired by Gallotments. This is why I feel that it needs further investigation.
I rule nothing out at this stage.
JB.
alan refail
KG Regular

As someone who only uses "manure" that comes out of the back end of my hens and ducks, I had never heard of this problem before.

However, for what it's worth, there are warnings on the Dow AgroSciences site regarding persistence of aminopyralid and the use of manure from animals fed on treated grass, especially this warning about "sensitive" following crops and use of manure.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Gallotments,
May I suggest that we 1. Find out the name of the herbicide. 2. Find out which manure we a dealing with Farmyard or Stable. 3. Forget anything with regards to Herbicides used in the United States because they have no relevance in the UK. Any Herbicide used in UK has to be tried and tested by the Pesticides Directorate before it gets a licence.
I'm afraid that I do not believe the posting which says DEFRA have called and confirm Herbicide contamination. DEFRA do not call!
Lets approach this sensibly and we may, just may, get to the bottom of it. It is very clear that something is amiss but what?
I can assure you that I am as eager as you to find out the cause as you.
JB.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Alan,
Well done! Your posting seems to be on the right track.
From the Dow website you found I post the following extract.

"Can farmers sell manure/compost/slurry from animals fed on aminopyralid-treated grass/hay/silage?
It can be sold to farmers who may wish to use it for grass, stubbles intended for cereals or land intended for maize
They should not sell it to farmers or the general public for use on sensitive crops*** nor for garden use
Sensitive crops include: peas, beans and other legumes; sugar beet and fodder beet; carrots and umbelliferae; potatoes and tomatoes; lettuce and other compositae."

Hi Gallotment,
If this turns out to be the culprit then I suspect you could have the person concerned prosecuted.
JB.
glallotments
KG Regular

All that I know at this point is that the manure was farmyard manure. All affected plots had manure from the same source and I will try and find a contact for the farmer - it could be that he isn't aware of what was used on the sileage crop and so I don't know how we can find out which chemical was used. The posting saying that DEFRA visited was not mine but something that was posted on the UK Allotments forum. I have emailed DEFRA myself and also I have responded to a request on the RHS website asking for anyone suspecting that they have used contaminated manure to email them as they state that they have had a lot of reports and requests for advice.
I hadn't intended opening a can of worms but I am concerned. The crops on the sensitive crops list are almost everything that we would wish to plant - other than sweetcorn which corresponds to the articles that I have read with respect to herbicide residues
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear glallotments, don't worry if you have opened a can of worms, as i think we all will be very interested in the outcome, what ever the end result is.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
richard p
KG Regular

if this herbicide is sprayed on the grass the cows eat (not on the straw they lie on) and is still active after its been pooed out , what are the chances that its getting into the milk aswell?
alan refail
KG Regular

Richard

There are maximum residue levels here, so the answer to your question must be yes.

Gets a bit scary when you look at the total list of pesticides. But I'm sure we can trust the scientists and producers :wink:
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Gallotments,
Cans of worms we can cope with so you can open as many of those as you like! I am actually indebted to you for opening this particular one.
You have probably realised that although I am not Organic I try not to use pesticides especially on grassland. My grassland, when necessary, does get sprayed but not with a broad spectrum broadleaf herbicide. Over the years I have had my troubles in the form of mainly Nettles and Thistles. These patches are individually sprayed and if necessary harrowed and resown.
I have contacted the contract sprayer who does most of the cereal crops in the area and he doesn't use Dow chemicals at all and the spray he uses do not contain aminopyralid thankfully.
I have contacted also everybody who supplies me with manure and none of them use Dow Chemicals either.
I feel that with all the restrictions on after use it is a wonder that anybody uses the complete Dow range.
Again it is not the use of chemicals in farming but the misuse which causes the problems.
JB.
Lurganspade
KG Regular

Did this problem not come up a few years ago, but it was to do with farmers themselves, using their own FYM produced from their own farms?

I have asked my dad, but he cannot remember.

Me, I cannot remember the outcome either!
Buy land, they do not make it anymore!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Lurganspade,
I must confess that until Gallotments brought the subject up I was blissfully unaware of the particular range of chemicals being used. Thankfully Hawk eyed Alan found out the spray or range of sprays which can cause the problem very quickly. I am kicking myself because I really should have been aware of any pending problems.
I can only repeat that I am indebted to Gallotments for bring it to our notice and to Alan for very quickly finding the solution. Thank you both.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic