Help getting rid of wild blackberries

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

I have inherited a border against a wall that has been neglected for many years and I am now about to start to revive it.I have cleared as much of the weeds and couch grass that I can but am now left with a lot of well established wild brambles - I've pulled and cut out what I can but am left with several stout root and stumps. I cant dig them out without seriously disturbiing several small fan trained apple trees.
Is there anything I can put on the stumps that will kill the bramble roots but not harm the apples? Although I try and garden 'sustainably' I am not adverse to chemical treatment as a last resort
Jude
KG Regular

I, too, would be interested in any replies. The top end of my allotment borders an extensive bramble patch. I've got out as much as I can but there are still clumps growing through what appears to be an old spring mattress about 2 feet down and I just can't get at them...bloody nightmare!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi both,
In the past I have been able to dig out stumps after taking the top off. However the Blackbirds are responsible for spreading them and have this awful habit off pooping whilst sitting on my Rabbit Fencing and when they regenerate it would seriously affect my Rabbit protection if I tried to dig them out so I cut them down and drill a hole in the base and inject with SBK and that seems to work about
80% + of the time but sometimes I have to redo the process.
I use the type of hypodermic that is used for dosing Sheep but an eye dropper may well do the same thing. You only need a very small quantity per dose.
It is best carried out just after they have shown signs of regrowth.
Always use protective gloves when carrying out this process.
JB.
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

That sounds like just the ticket Johnboy - what is SBK and where can I get it?
John
KG Regular

Hello Sue and Jude
You could try cutting down all the top growth and waiting for the new shoots to appear in the Spring. When the first leaves have opened out on this new growth, go over everything with a paintbrush dipped in Roundup solution (or the garden centre equivalent), using a stronger solution than that normally used for weed control. Don't spray this stuff as it will get onto your fruit trees and cause problems. Treat the couch in the same way. Roundup only enters the plant through green tissue so if you do get any on the fruit tree bark you'll be safe.
As Johnboy says do wear protective gloves - the gauntlet-type rubber ones are best. Have some clean water ready to deal quickly with any spills or splashes.
You might need to do some repeat treatments.

John

PS One or two drops of washing up liquid in your herbicide solution will help the solution to go on. Don't do a treatment if rain is forecast in the next 24 hours.

I've not found them that difficult to get rid of. I had a steep banking covered with them. I got them down to the ground with a brushcutter then just cut the crowns from their roots with secateurs and got very little regrowth from the roots. Admittedly I was making a grassy bank which I keep strimmed but I think with them being amongst other things if you tackle the crowns then snip any regrowth you'll shift them without fiddly chemical applications.
Geoff
KG Regular

Above was me - auto login failed again without me noticing.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Sue TR,
SPK stands for Synthetic Brush Killer which I do not think has been 'Banned.' I feel that Johns method may work every bit as well as mine so now you have two choices. At least we know Glyphosate is not banned!
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

SBK, glyphosate, all work. I haven't tried Dax Rootout but that might be OK. Cut the tops, a hedgecutter will do most of it, the crowns succumb fairly easily to a mattock or similar, then no need to bother about individual roots. The Gardena telescopic hedgecutter is even better if you have one, the teeth are well spaced and you can get into the heart of the bush from a distance. I also use a cordless mini-chainsaw or lopper, still available at a price. Brambles are one of the fastest colonisers around so watch out for young ones, runner or seeds. I also get invasion ex thornless loganberry, unfortunately with the returned thorns.
Allan
Beccy
KG Regular

One of the most scary bits of TV I have seen was of speeded up bramble growth. The stems waved about as they grew, seeking new ground to invade and conquer. It really was chilling.

I think it might have been on 'Life on Earth' or some other Attenborough narrated programme.

I'm going to have to go and make myself a warming cup of coffee now, I've got the shivers just thinking about it. Sounds silly I know, but the bramle seemed so purposeful in it's advance, really sinister.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Beccy are you sure you were not watching day of the triffeds, now iv'e got the shivers and forgot how to spell.

Kind regards Old herbaceus.

When i'm not fishing i'm mending my nets.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic