slugs and cats double trouble

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

amvpugh
KG Regular

i'm having two problems at the minute,
little slugs tryin to eat my flowers and veg and cats that think my garden is their toilet, any ideas on either of these would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
anne
Sarah
KG Regular

I sympathise, having sowed two rows of carrots and a row of parsnips, only to have a cat come along and use the area as a toilet. Lets just say if anything comes up at all, it won't be in neat rows! :evil:

I've heard that citrus peelings scattered around sometimes deter them, or holly cuttings, but this hasn't worked fo me. The only thing is to cover precious areas with net (which is what I should have done. :roll:
HelenH
KG Regular

Yep, this is a little problem I'm experiencing too. Our veg plot is situated very close to the house and despite erecting virtually every type of fence and barricade possible, amazingly our two cats still manage to get in and poo in the raised beds, and paths too! Cats love freshly raked soil particularly if it contains freshly sewn seeds and small plants!

I've tried nearly everything and in my view the best method is to cover areas with netting. Its reasonably easy to cover seeded areas but as plants grow its more difficult to maintain it. If you're really determined to keep cats off you could consider growing veg in netted frames. A bit costly though and perhaps inpractical depending on the size of your plot.

Hope this is of help.
HelenH
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Hi All,

I moved here about 3 months ago and the garden was used by cats from all directions. I starting using this cat repellent and haven't had to pick up anything for about a month now. Hope this link works OK.
Cheers.

http://www.monrobrands.com/growingsucce ... cordset1=4
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
amvpugh
KG Regular

will definately have a go with that thank you, i think every cat in the local town uses my garden for a toilet,
thank you
anne
x 8)
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

amvpugh wrote:will definately have a go with that thank you, i think every cat in the local town uses my garden for a toilet,
thank you
anne
x 8)

Hi amvpugh,

They also do safe slug pellets which work as well. I've used them for a couple of years now. You don't get left with loads of dead bodies, as they seem to crawl away and die somewhere else :D

Cheers, Parsons Jack
Cheers PJ.

amvpugh
KG Regular

will look at the slug stuff too as last year i used the blue pellet things and had to go out and pick up the dead bodies before the little ones went out to play
anne
x
amvpugh
KG Regular

thanks for the tip parsons jack, i've not seen any cat poo or dead bodies
and haven't seen any destroyed leaves (had loads of sunflower casualties last year due to the slimey ones)
am keeping my fingers crossed still
thanks again
anne
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Hi Anne,

I'm glad it works for you. I think the cat repellent must be getting popular, because almost everywhere around here is continually out of stock of it. I managed to get a couple of small packs of it a few days ago. Not that I've needed it, but I wanted some handy just in case.

Cheers, Parsons Jack.
Cheers PJ.

skinny_bum
KG Regular

Hi anne and the others, I have a veg plot in my gardena and like most of you my own cats like to take big dumps in there, having tried the powers, lemons and the like, I finally invested in a sonic cat scarer from my local shop cost about £19 and runs on 2 x sque batt's, and this seems to do the trick, if they do ever dump on there then they must be covering their ears at the same time because they never seem to have time to cover it. I can hear the sonic wave and so can children but my hubby who is older can not, so if you buy one and dont think that it is working, then grab a young person and shove them in front and see if they can hear it or buy one with a little red light on it to say when it is one as they only work when something has walked in front of it.
Happy Cat free gardening. :lol:
pump_king
KG Regular

If you have a holly bush/tree a few twigs placed where the cat use the ground for a toilet and they will soon stop, totally humane also stops squirrels
If I can't eat it I don't grow it
http://myallotment.spaces.live.com/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic