White worms in manure

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Lottie girl
KG Regular

The manure (cow I think)I put on my raised beds some time in the late autumn is heaving with tiny white worms (about 2-3mm long). They aren't visible on the surface, but can be seen on braking the small clumps of manure up. Are they some sort of intestinal worm from the cow? Should I be worried? Grateful for any info you can give. Thanks.
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

Hi Lottie Girl
Don’t panic, they are not something you need to be worried about. The small white worms are called Enchytraeids, sometimes called pot worms (or mistaken for nematodes) They are not something from the cows insides but are a relative of the earthworm but do not have haemoglobin so remain white. They are a part of the natural system of decomposing plant matter. They thrive in acid conditions and are often a nuisance to worm farmers, not because they do any harm to the worms we grow, but because they eat food intended for our 'herd'
They are not a problem to the gardener but they do look a bit icky – They are part of the ecosystem but if you want to reduce their numbers, and its appropriate for whatever crop you want to grow in the beds, add a little garden lime to reduce the level of acidity.
Allan
KG Regular

I would hate to push that lot on a bike (unless it's all feathers
Allan
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

I should have also said - birds adore these worms, turn the soil a bit and let the birds have a feast. :D
Allan - Pic is just a bit of a joke that my son thought would be a good, says it reminds him of me collecting and recycling everything :D
Lottie girl
KG Regular

Thanks for that Sue. i can stop worrying now!
Lottie girl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic