Mice.

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I have been so busy this last couple of weeks watching that the mice aren't eating my sown peas and broad beans, that i missed them feasting on my tulip bulbs. :evil:
They have very good taste as they have eaten the most exspensive ones, 100 polrchroma and 100 sylvestris. I'm realy annoyed about the sylvestris as they have a lovely scent, and one of my favorites.

But i suppose they have to eat something. :)

Anyone else having problems with mice yet. :?:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
pongeroon
KG Regular

Hello OH. :D

We have mice in the roof space. This morning I was awake early, and heard them gnawing away at the joists, and started visualising them chewing through electric cables. :shock:

At that very moment Craig's phone alarm lit up and started beeping. I very nearly died of shock, but just gasped 'Oh f**k' instead, apparently. He thought it was very funny. :evil:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just for the forum members that know me by my real name, no it was NOT me in Pongeroons bedroom. :shock: :lol: :wink:

peter
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Just for the forum members that know me by my real name, no it was NOT me in Pongeroons bedroom. :shock: :lol: :wink:

Now now OH, you have truely let the cat out of the hessian potato container. :lol:

I was going to keep quiet on that one you poor shy boy.

Now what is it worth to keep your extreme age quiet?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good morning Peter, quickly moving back on to the mice subject, :) they have eaten holes in my hessian sacks too.

Do you prefer Scotch or dark Rum, by the way. :wink:

Chantal
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Just for the forum members that know me by my real name, no it was NOT me in Pongeroons bedroom. :shock: :lol: :wink:

Prove it. :wink:

Mouse (and rat) free zone here at present. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
peter
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Good morning Peter, quickly moving back on to the mice subject, :) they have eaten holes in my hessian sacks too.

Do you prefer Scotch or dark Rum, by the way. :wink:

Scotch. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
pongeroon
KG Regular

Ooops, sorry OH, I seem to have let out the deadly secret! :oops:

Scotch please, single malt if you're buying. :D
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Blooming eck, i think it better be doubles all round. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Colin_M
KG Regular

For those of you with mice, can anyone advise on dealing with ones that are between the floorboards?

We can hear some gnawing away at night, but despite putting out traps, can't find where they might be running. They are between our ground floor and first floor (specifically, in the joist-space just under my bed!)

Any tips for dealing with this, or the damage they could be causing there? Our fitted carpets haven't been down long & I am wary of lifting them, just to end up on a wild "mouse-chase" :)

Colin

ps - Laphroaig for me too, please OH :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Colin, you should be able to tempt them out in the airing cupboard, there are normally big enough gaps for them to get out there.
A few biscuits first then the traps, Harrods all butter shortbread seem to be their favorites. :lol: :wink:

Chantal
KG Regular

A cat perhaps Colin? :wink:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
pongeroon
KG Regular

I'd happily crawl under Colin's floorboards for Harrod's shortbread, so I expect the mice will too.

I have gone completely against my principles and agreed to let Craig put poison down in the roofspace. We tried traps but they went off without catching anything. I think the mice used long forks.

We also had a problem with rats behind the shed and in the compost bins and used poison there too.

I hate myself and only hope they didn't suffer too much. :(
Colin_M
KG Regular

Thanks all, though it might have to be Tescos shortbread. Actually all our traps say to use peanut butter or chocolate.

By the way, it seems we've established the going rate of exchange for personal services in this conversastion thread. I'm just waiting for JB to tell us that he likes his shortbread dunked in malt whisky!!

Colin
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
I think too much of my Malts to adulterate them with anything. Shortbread is too good for Mice. I use a small crust of bread and drizzle some Honey on the top, only a small amount mind. Mice absolutely adore Honey and I have traps that have a pressure plate and more often than not they do not even get to the bait and I simple remove the corpse and reset the trap. (there's economy)
Remember there are always two mice at least and when you catch a mouse never assume that that is the end to the proceedings 'cos it isn't. Always reset and wait a good while before closing the proceedings.
Happy hunting.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic