Citrus trees Sooty Mould

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

pigletwillie
KG Regular

The lemon tree that I have has a good case of sooty mould. Now that the greenhouse is heated this should be prevented in future, can I just wash this off with soapy water
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Jenny Green
KG Regular

:(
I may be the bearer of bad news. I don't think the mould has been caused by damp conditions. I think it's come from scale insects. These secret a honeydew that the mould grows on.
Check the stems for limpet like creatures. Citrus are incredibly prone to these.
In answer to your other query, I think Meyer's is the recommended variety for reliable cropping in this climate. I had one of these and it withstood the climate well, but with scale insect infestations and general fussiness I binned it and now get my lemons from the supermarket!
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Pigletwillie,
don't use soapy water as the soap will ruin the waxy cuticle on the leaves. Use a solution of vinegar and water and spray it onto the plant and wait to let the mould soften and then wipe off with a soft cotton rag (or similar). It will also get rid of any limescale deposits.
Regards Sally Wright.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Thanks both,

yes it does have a scale insect infestaion. I will pick them off and then spray with vinegar and water and gently wipe the mould off. The mould only appeared whilst in the greenhouse, obviously I need to keep more of an eye on it.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic