victoria plums

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

david71
KG Regular

i have an 8 year old victoria plum which, this year, has produced many small fruits with, in some cases, dark blotches on the skin. no doubt this is due to some pest or another. can anyone advise me on best treatment for the tree during the autumn/winter.
david71
fen not fen
KG Regular

Whatever you do don't prune it in Autumn Winter as it will get silver leaf and die. Other than that I don't know what may be causing the discolouring - are the dark patches a different texture to the other flesh? If it is a bit gummy I used to get this on my Victoria and it didn't seem to affect the ongoing health of the tree or the next year's crops. As for small fruits Victorias are well known for having a bumper year followed by an off year, maybe it's just having a poor year (who isn't?)
david71
KG Regular

thanks for your advice fen.. have you any knowledge of winter sprays etc ?
david71
fen not fen
KG Regular

Not at all, never felt the need for them and usually had perfectly respectable crops without maggits or anything. If you can cultivate under the trees then encourage birds like blackbirds and robins to feed in the area in the winter most overwintering troublesome beasties will be eaten up before they can be a problem.
Beryl
KG Regular

It may also be the start of Brown Rot.
In which case the fruit will gradually rot become uneatable and mummmyfy on the tree.
No cure except strict hygiene. Destroy all fruit rotting and don't leave any on the ground. Don't leave any mummyfied fruit on the tree over winter either. and Don't compost.

Beryl.
david71
KG Regular

thank you Fen and Beryl
david71
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic