Early blight in potatoes

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

456cat
KG Regular

Hi all

I've just noticed that the lower leaves on my potatoes have gone yellow and have brown patches on them. I suspect it's early blight but can't find information on how to deal with it. Some sites say that it isn't as serious as late blight.

Any ideas?

Thanks

456cat
JohnN
KG Regular

I've also had the same 'blight' on the earlies (Foremost)I grow in pots. The one I've tried to date has produced OK tubers, however.
John N
alan refail
KG Regular

When did you plant the potatoes? Maybe they are just ready. Our earlies here in NW Wales are ready after 2 months and the leaves will start yellowing/browning after 3 months.

Alan
456cat
KG Regular

I planted them in March and dug one up yesterday. The tubers are perfect and delicious.

I read somewhere that you should wait until the earlies were in flower before you dig them up and they haven't flowered. When does everyone else start on their earlies?

456cat
alan refail
KG Regular

It isn't blight, then - or almost certainly not. As for earlies flowering, not all do.
My first earlies were planted:

Red Duke of York 8 April, dug first about two weeks ago, now flowering
BF15 13 April, dug first yesterday

As I said in my last post, here in NW Wales we can rely on first earlies being ready after 2 months/about 65 days. Anywhere they should be ready after 90 days.
Enjoy them and forget about early blight.

Alan
456cat
KG Regular

Thanks Alan.

456cat
strawberry tart
KG Regular

Just for the record, (i'm in the South) Blight is definately about. The brown circles have been appearing on my outdoor Pentland Javelin for about a week now (not having had time to spray and secretly hoping things wouldnt get too bad) Ive been picking off the infected leaves as I pass the plants. This morning after torrential rain yesterday things are a fair bit worse with the plants looking pretty sad and the brown fungal infection on the stems as well.I propose to cut all the tops off tomorrow before(hopefully) the infection gets into the soil and then the spuds. Then just start harvesting them. I'll have to do something regards spraying my other varieties which are as yet unaffected. (and are also on higher ground?) not sure wether to use Bordeaux mixture or Dithane one or the other, I use minimal sprays of any type but I think this is the only recourse now if I am not too late...S.T.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic