Red/Brown bugs on Toms

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

WestHamRon
KG Regular

We have noticed these on some of our tomatoes (only Legend it seems). They are smaller than greenfly and can easily be mistaken for splashes of mud. Does anyone have any idea what they might be and how to deal with them ? My original thought was Red Spider Mites but recalled reading that they are too small to see.
Many thanks in advance.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Ron

These sound like aphids. I have had problems with quite small brownish aphids in the past - mainly on peppers. Don't ask me what sort they are!
Two years ago I nearly threw out all my pepper and chili seedlings because the infestation had stunted them so much, despite continually washing them off with water. Then, miraculously, they all disappeared and I had a brilliant crop at the end of the season. I had none at all last year, and none so far this year.

The trouble with using insecticide is that you kill all their predators and they themselves reproduce so fast it's very difficult to keep on top of the problem without constant spraying.

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Thanks Alan.
I shall do the same and merely wash them off. By the way, a couple of our pepper plants have them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic