flippin' aphids everywhere!

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

retropants
KG Regular

please help! my beautiful purple sprouting broccoli is absolutely smothered in horrid grey aphids. Is there any way to get rid of them? I have picked it and stored it in the fridge, but they seem to have multiplied. Yikes :shock:
all suggestions welcome!! (easy there!) :oops:
thankyou, Emma.
alan refail
KG Regular

OMIGOD :!:
Mealy cabbage aphids - used to be the bane of my life in spring till we moved to Wales. Now we don't see them at all - can't speak the language :!:
Seriously, though, if you've picked the broccoli, there's not much you can do except give it a good wash in salty water.
For other advice:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advice/p ... bage_aphid

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
John
KG Regular

That's an excellent reference source of info. on veg and fruit nasties, Alan.
Thanks.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
retropants
KG Regular

thanks Alan, very interesting indeed! as for the broccoli, it may have to be binned, as I have washed it and jet washed it and there are still hundreds coming off in the water. ho hum! :? what a shame, it was the last of it too. :cry:
Colin_M
KG Regular

I don't know about grey aphids, but I suffer from greenfly every Spring. Trouble is, I don't like putting man-made chemicals on stuff I'm then going to eat.

The only "organic" thing I've found that works on aphids is Derris. This appears to be natural (derived from plants) and, unlike the soapy solution approach, actually gets rid of aphids.

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/p ... cts_id=525

Colin
madasafish
KG Regular

I spray with a solution of soap and water (decorators soap solution works well). Kills mamy and is organic (and cheap)
retropants
KG Regular

maybe I should move to Wales then ? :roll: :lol:
richard p
KG Regular

whats the problem?, they are only brocolli processed into protein after all, serve smothered in cheese sauce nobody will notice :P
retropants
KG Regular

LOL!!! :lol: :lol:
har har......!! although I would know they are there, and the sauce would look like it had been heavily seasoned!!! :shock:
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

Got the same problem on my late purple sprouting - our little aphids are a very pretty shade of grey purple - the early sprouting managed to escape almost scot free but they have found the late sprouters. I have tried Derris in the polytunnel where the green aphids had run amock(it is currently classed as organic)and it does work but i only use it in desperation.

The other thing that seems to work once you've harvested is to put the broccoli in a sink full of cold water- weight it down and leave in the water for a few hours (6 i think it was) it seems to drown them off. Other than that i have to agree with Richard and just think of it as protein. You could also try scalding them off before you cook the broc if your not too keen on the additional protein.
P.S i did not salt the water but i'll try that next time.
Getting closer to the land www.masdudiable.com
retropants
KG Regular

Phew! thanks for all that info! I have to say, I've tried most of those, and the last option was going to be to dunk the heads in a pan of boiling water to get them all off. Unfortunately, broccoli is very good at repelling water, and little air pockets keep the blighters safe from drowning in amongst the flower buds. :evil:
Oh well, I did get a fair bit before these fellas took hold, so the last little bit wasted, I'll just have to put up with! And, my calabrese from last year has produced wee mini florets almost continuously since last summer! :D
I suppose you can't have everything ..... :cry:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic