Wee white worms

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

nannygreen
KG Regular

No doubt this is a silly question-emptying the compost bin we found thousands of wee white thread-like white wormy things. Friend or foe?
alan refail
KG Regular

Nothing's a silly question if you need an answer. But DON'T PANIC

Here's the answer from Garden Organic (HDRA)'s FAQ section:

I recently moved and inherited a couple of full compost bins. The previous tenant had been an organic gardener so I didn't hesitate in using the compost. I discovered tiny white worms in the compost, around an inch long and very thin. Are these worms a problem? Any ideas please?

The thin, white worms in the compost you used are likely to be enchytraeids, or pot worms. They are harmless and will break down the waste in the same way as compost worms, only they are far better at tolerating waterlogged or acidic conditions. Check that the bins are draining properly and add a handful of ground limestone to correct the acidity.

Hope this helps

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
madasafish
KG Regular

I have these white worms plus red banded worms plus slugs in both of my pastic compost bins. I leave all to thrive (literally thousands of white and red worms). I feed the compost with citrus, teabags, wet newspaper and ALL our kitchen vegetable and fruit waste - except cooked food and bones. (we have NO leftovers!)The heaps are perpetually moist.

Makes nice compost... and no problems evident (the slugs stay there... far more food than in the rest of the garden!)
nannygreen
KG Regular

Thanks for the replies-I shall treat my wee white worms now as friends!
By the way, I see no other worms i the bins, and very few in the garden, BUT I do see some flatworms, is this likely to create problems later? My soil is very acidic-best overwinter grower is moss!
Lyn
KG Regular

Nannygreen, if you mean the New Zealand flatworms,you need to get rid of them - they definitely are a foe, because they prey on earthworms. Look out for their eggs and destroy them. They are small round black things like currants. Also search out the flatworms themselves and destroy them in salt water when you find them. They like lurking under flat stones, slabs, plastic mulch, etc. Try to keep the population down, or you might end up with no earthworms on your plot. Don't panic though, they are controllable with a bit of vigilance.
Brenjon
KG Regular

I also have the wee white worms in my compost bin that has really become a wormery.
excuse my ignorance, but could the very baby white worms be recently hatched.
brandlings or small earhtworms.
Regards Brenjon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic