honey fugus

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

My old privet hedge has died of honey fungus. I want to replace it with a new hedge. I am not going to sterilize the soil or replace it.Can any one tell me if any other type of hedging is not effected by it.I am certain hornbeam is resistent but would prefer a evergreen.Will be glad of any advice.
Kind regards old herbaceous.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Old Herbaceous,
the only evergreen that will resist the dreaded HF and make a good hedge is Yew. They are said to be immune to it and I have found no evidence to contradict this and the garden where I work is riddled with the stuff.
Regards Sally Wright.
secret guest

Lonicera seems to be surviving in our garden, whereas privet has succumbed
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Sally thank you so much for replying. This is good news as i am a big fan of yew, and i do mean the hedging. thanks again. Old herbaceous.
A guest

I too lost a privet hedge to honey fungus. The 6 holly (clipped bushes more than trees) growing alongside remained untouched. Its evergreen attractive and faster growing than yew but given the choice a mature yew hedge would win every time....rgds Paul.
A guest

old herbaceous www.hedging.co.uk looks good. lists evergreen lonicera nitida elegant as fast growing attractive hedging plant...Paul.
peter
KG Regular

Beware, Lonicera can get completely killed by severe cold weather. We once lost the entire hedge on one side, 1980 I think it was, it did regrow from the base, but as it was about 7' high to start with it took some time :( .
peter
KG Regular

Oh, I forgot, it is also quite a floppy grower, and may need support for anything much over 4' high. :?
Jenny Green
KG Regular

A guest wrote:old herbaceous www.hedging.co.uk looks good. lists evergreen lonicera nitida elegant as fast growing attractive hedging plant...Paul.

I can second the recommendation for that website. It's something like Buckingham Nursery. Cheap and efficient, and the plants are good quality. You do get what you ask for, though, so the plants can be pretty small.
David Hathway
KG Regular

I had excactly the same problem with my privet edge a few years back but I promptly replaced with escalonia which has thrived. A little vigorous but everygreen, dense with shiney green leaves and attractive small flowers often twice a year.
David :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic