Un-wanted 'visitors'

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tea-shot
KG Regular

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the livestock section - as we appear to be feeding the whole site :x We have MICE :!: - in very large numbers, it appears. Traps have been laid with very tempting produce attached eg apple, cake, banana etc. The only problem is getting the traps to spring shut. The little devils seem to have no problem getting the treats off the trap plates (and then they will eat the tops off anything that has dared to poke its head above ground level) but they are managing to do it without springing the traps. The traps are working - as my thumb can tell you - so how do I get them to work the way they are supposed to. I'm getting a bit tired with the fight, which has been going on since last November.
Sorry to whinge but it's a bit frustrating :( :? :x
John
KG Regular

Hello Tea-shot
Its only a small point but it might help you. I've had a similar problem with traps and found that they worked better if I put them on a solid surface (I use broken tiles) rather than just resting on the soft soil.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Chantal
KG Regular

Try using Mars Bar on the traps. You can squish it up a but and it sticks to the trap making it difficult for them to get off. Worked for me... :wink:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
tea-shot
KG Regular

Thanks John and Chantal. I suppose this means that I get to eat the rest of the mars bar :D after all I can't just leave it lying around to encourage rats and other beasties.
lizzie
KG Regular

Have you thought about giving a home to some feral cats? We did on our plots, all the cats have been neutered so there's no problems with unwanted kittens. We had a terrible problem with mice before we got the 5 cats and it's fine now. Still a few about but certainly not as many.

A couple of people are responsible for feeding the cats daily but they are on the plots daily anyway.

Just a thought for a longer term solution.
Lots of love

Lizzie
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Lizzie, do you get much problem with the cats scratching about on peoples seed beds.
There are two new cats near our allotments, they have done a good job with the mice, but a nuisance in other ways. :evil:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
lizzie
KG Regular

No, not really Herby.

They do have a large area to roam as the plots back onto a railway and a large park. They're not confined. Plus, they have sertain greenhouses that they consider "home".
Lots of love

Lizzie
tea-shot
KG Regular

Thanks for that Lizzie, but we can't get the other plot holders to agree on a decent drainage system, never mind anything like who gets to feed the cats - and then there's the pigeon people who don't even like others having hens. I can only imagine what they would have to say :shock: :oops:
richard p
KG Regular

ive taken to germinating beans in plastic tubs , about 2 foot square and a foot deep , about a pound in wilkinsons, the tub also acts as a water reservoir so the seedtrays or pots dont dry out so quick. hopefully if the mouse manages to climb in he wont get out again.
many years ago a cat brought a mouse into the kitchen and lost it in a cupboard, to cut a long story short a large jar of golden syrup got broken, the mouse and cat tried to run through the puddle, mouse couldnt move atall , cat just made a sticky mess
lizzie
KG Regular

Do you not have a committee Tea-shot? Things are agreed on the committee and we have an AGM yearly plus and EGM if necessary. Everyone votes. Those who don't like the decision have a choice.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Monika
KG Regular

W have trouble with fieldmice on the allotment eating broadbeans and peas when they are sown, so I always have to bring them on either in rootrainers (for broad beans) or, at least, pre-germinate the peas in seed trays before sowing. I seems that once they have sprouted, they are no longer so attractive to the little beasties. We no longer try to get rid of the mice because, being surrounded by dry stone walls, there is an endless supply of them.
tea-shot
KG Regular

Dear Lizzie, no we don't have a committee. If we have a problem we have to wait till the first thursday in the month for the town council meeting where they will put things before the relevant committee and we go back the next month to see what - if anything - has happened :shock: :!:
arthur e
KG Regular

Hello Tea Shot,
The white cat you see in the foreground of my avatar came into my lawn the other day carrying a mouse and started to play with it.From the far end of the lawn about 30ft away one of my hens spotted the activity and came hurtling over,dived at the cat which beat a hasty retreat then grabbed the mouse and ate it.
So theres your answer :wink:
Arthur e
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I have found that a raisons used for bait on the trap works very well.

Barney
madasafish
KG Regular

I use brown bread crust with the crust section speared by the trap. We had a mouse in the house last week: trapped in a cupboard, put baited trap in a corner near cover (this imo essential) and 30 minutes later mouse squashed..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic