Encouraging hedgehogs

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marge
KG Regular

I was wondering what are the best ways to encourage hedgehogs into the garden (and whether this is advisable)?

The reason being I understand they like to eat plenty of slugs and I would prefer 'Hedgey Hedgehog' than using slug pellets or nematodes. :wink:
Reine de la cocina
alan refail
KG Regular

Marge

I tried googling "encouraging hedgehogs in the garden"

Lots of good stuff - too much to list here.

Give it a try

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Monika
KG Regular

As long as you have some good hiding places like woodpiles and overgrown corners, they arrive on their own accord and stay - or don't. They also tend to move along close to walls, fences etc so make sure that you leave a small hole for them to go into and out of your garden or allotment. We can't have hedgehogs on our allotment because everything has to be double wire-netted against rabbits so any small hole would also let in baby bunnies but we do have them in the garden.
One year I tried to attract them by leaving out a dish with a bit of cat food and lots of juicy slugs and we actually watched as the hedgehog ate all the cat food and left the slugs behind!
Tigger
KG Regular

I think the hedgehog rescue people recommend cat food and say we shouldn't feed hedgehogs on bread and milk as it's not easily digested by them. We get lots of them but I'm not sure why. Our dog isn't remotely interested in them but our previous mut ( a Springer Spaniel) was a big fan - if there was a car boot open, she would fill it with her favourite spiney, flee ridden creatures!
mandylew
KG Regular

we have a hedgehog rescue here and 2 years ago we took in a young male to overwinter, she offered us a female too . but I wasn't sure about being overun with little pricklys. The male did a good job, didn't find a slug for months, he disappeared about 6 months later, presumably to find mrs hedgehog. if you have a safe enclosed garden might be worth contacting a centre near to you. they are really cute. They recommended kitekat chicken flavour.
madasafish
KG Regular

Our local foxes like hedgehog.. so we never see any: although lots around 1km away.
Johnboy
KG Regular

I have what I suppose you would call an enclosed band of Hedgehogs as I have 5 acres inside a very effective anti rabbit fence and Although I use slug pellets because whereas Hedgehogs to eat slugs they seem to be very selective. These Hedgehogs were inside the area that I fenced 25 years ago and they thrive and I have yet to find a dead one. I would hazard a guess that there are at least 40 and maybe more. They have mating contests on my lawns and they are quite comical to watch. The victor goes off with his female and the loser stays tight in a ball for ages. I do not feed them at all. Their numbers seem to remain constant so I suppose they regulate their population in some way.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic