Flies in Christmas bulb gift bowl

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

The compost in a Christmas flowering bulb arrangement I've been given has started breeding tiny flies by the hundred. How can I get rid of them quickly please? Don't want to rush out and brave the shops to buy something special.
taralastair
KG Regular

I was just about to put a posting up about this. We have been infested for about a month now and it is driving us potty! I believe they like to breed on damp soil, so I have tried putting sand on the surface and watering from underneath, but they are still everywhere. I binned the most infected plants (mostly herbs), but I really don't want to chuck every house plant I have. Someone help please.
Tara
Chantal
KG Regular

I have them on a Bird of Paradise Plan tthat I grew from seed so I can't bring myself to bin it. Every few months I stir up the soil and spray with Raid fly killer. It never gets rid of them completely but knocks them back for a while. They're not much of a bother at this time of year, usually.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
taralastair
KG Regular

Maybe it's a very bad year for them as I seem to see them everywhere (maybe they're following me). The only plants that were new to me this year were the herbs I potted up with fresh store bought compost, and they were the worst affected. So I assume the flies came from the compost. I suppose they are harmless, but also a big nuisance.
Tara
John
KG Regular

I do the same as Chantal - give them a whiff of household fly killer. Not enough to wet the foliage though as this can scorch some plants. I always do this at night as I seem to remember reading that the active stuff in these knock-down insecticides is broken down in the light. It doesn't eliminate them but it does give good control.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic