Worms - again

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

I never got a reply from Wigglywigglers to my query about brandling worms and earth worms but I am getting a book from Father Christmas (you see, if you believe in him, he really does bring you prezzies!) about worms so I'll let you know when I know.
But my new question is: when digging recently I came across some short but rather flat not round worms and I am just hoping it's not that New Zealand flatworm, devourer of our local worms. Does anybody know whether these are now nationwide, that is, even here in the frozen north, or are they just very local down south?
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Monika,

I am sorry to say :( but we have them on Merseyside :twisted: How bad it is I am not sure.

Regards

Kevin :wink:
Monika
KG Regular

I had a look at the DEFRA website which shows the New Zealand flatworm from several angles and iI don't think the worms I saw were them!!! The NZ flatworm seems to have a sort of edge all along its body whereas mine were smooth all round, though flattened in shape.
Hard luck, Kevin, that you have them, so they are obviously about in the north, too!
madasafish
KG Regular

We have some flattened worms in Staffordshire: normal size with round heads and flattened middle body. Seem normal otherwise.

As far as red composting worms are concerned, my experience is that if you start a compost heap on bare earth, the red worms will eventually find your heap. And then propagate. And how!

In the summer, they congregate around the top edge of our black plastic composting bin covers: enough for several handfuls...:-)
Chantal
KG Regular

Those brandling worms are amazing. I can understand them finding a compost heap on soil but what I don't understand is how they can find a carrier bag with kitchen peelings in it which has been standing on concrete for a couple of weeks. :?:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Monika
KG Regular

I had a very interesting book for Christmas: "Compost" by Clare Foster, but it still does not explain what happens to the brandling worms when they are spread on the beds with the compost! Maybe I'll never find out now.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm sure you lot are going to think i'm mad but i was talking to somebody about worms turning up in funny places, and he told me he was not surprised as it can rain worms, he was convinced it did, as he was always getting worms in the bottom of his water butt, i must say i have had them in my water butt's, but surely they don't come down with the rain, do they. :shock: :?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
seedling
KG Regular

Worms in your butt -painful :oops:
Seedling
peter
KG Regular

Birds (feathered variety OH before you get too hopeful) dropping them? :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Seedling im shocked. :shock: :D :wink:

Peter it could be the farm girls climbing in my bedroom window with their muddy boots on. :wink:

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi OH,
Even an old man can have his dreams!!
JB.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Johnboy dreams can make life so much more fun. :wink:

nickyk
KG Regular

I put half a melon or similar in the bin and it fills with worms which I then return to the empty bin. I've been known to buy tiger worms from the fishing shop to add to a new bin.
nannygreen
KG Regular

I'm afraid that over here in N Ireland we DO have flatworms :cry: -on the upside, the local wildlife seems to be eating them : :lol: : at leat they don't seem to have taken over
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic