Getting rid of Moles

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

valmarg

Well Beccy, you were not the one threatened by someone who had neither the guts nor courtesy to give a name to their posting.

I merely shot off the duck gun, in reply to some sanctimonious twerp who had not got the courage to be identified.

My rant was purely a hypothetical matter, insofaras if I had a mole problem, and I thought Jeyes fluid/Armillatox would deter them, I would have no hesitation in 'giving it a go.'

I have climbed out of my pram and got my dummy back!

valmarg

Another 'Sliver Spade' moment me thinks :) If I remember rightly, it was the use of Jayes Fluid that set the 'spade' off last time wasnt it?
valmarg

Annonymous guest, what on earth is a 'sliver spade moment?'

valmarg

Sorry - bad spelling doesnt help :) Some months ago - maybe even nearly a year now - someone asked about using Jayes Fluid as a soil steriliser, someone calling themselves 'SILVER Spade' responed in a very abbusive way, very similar in tone and style to the response you got. I think the site administrator at the time actually removed the post and asked sliver spade to appologise and banned them from the site. I was making a somewhat flipant observation that I suppose would only make sense to anyone familiar with that incident.
valmarg

Sorry I didn't mean to be nasty, but I had not seen the silver spade episode.

Jeyes fluid is a very strong ?antiseptic/disinfectant.

On the other hand, Armillatox, as I said in a previous listing, had been approved as a soil disinfectant/sterilant against vine weevil eggs. Being a fuchsia grower, this was good news, and something to be welcomed.

Then, all of a sudden, the great and mighty EU decided against this. Unless the manufacturers paid an astronomical amount to register the product for this use (whether or not it was effective) it could not make the claim.

The fact that the product is still made to the same 'recipe', and I have a leaflet here that supports the use of Armillatox (with EU blessing) as a soil sterilant against vine weevil eggs, all of a sudden it cannot be used for this purpose.

Therefore, it cannot be advertised 'on the tin'. If it doesn't state what it can do 'on the tin' it cannot be used for that purpose.

The fact that I can still buy Armillatox, and can still use it as a soil sterilizer against vine weevil eggs, makes the whole EU rulings, particularly on gardening, a farce.

I know I have gone way off thread on this, but I think what I have had to say highlights the stupidity of the EU!!

Maybe I am a voice crying in the wilderness!

I do so hope not.

valmarg
Losos
KG Regular

Valmarg - This is a delayed response but nevertheless I do sympathise with you. Some of these silly EU directives are just mind bogling. Just ignore them I say. The country where I now reside has recently become a member of the EU but so far much of the so called rules & regulations have yet to apply here, and from what I know of Czech people, when they are implemented they will just be ignored :wink:

On the subject of Mole eradication here's an idea which comes from another forum chat.

1) Find all the molehills that are interconnected, block them all except for one.
2) Reverse your car up to the one remaining and push a flexible pipe down it as far as possible.
3) Connect the other end of pipe to your car exhaust and start the engine.
4) Retire to house and make a cup of tea
5) Drink tea and return to car, switch off ignition and drive away leaving mole dead in his tunnel :)
Regards
peter
KG Regular

How do you tell a stoat from a weasel?

A weasel is weally weaselly and a stoat is stoatally different. :P
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Anonymous

Thanks Losos. The EU is one of my hobbyhorses. Why are we the only member that takes a blind bit of notice of their ludicrous directives?

Sorry. I shall have to go and lie down in a darkened room. Calm down dear!!

valmarg
Thegardnerthatfishes
KG Regular

If you want to garden mole free ... move to Ireland. Don't know if they were banished along with the snakes by St Patrick, but we don't have them here. By the way, we don't have weasels either, only stoats. And we love the EU !!!
Anonymous

I know this is still way off thread, but I cannot resist.

Of course you in the Irish Republic love the EU because you are a net beneficiary, ie you get more money back than you pay in.

We in the UK, on the other hand are net contributors, ie we pay far, far more into the corrupt organization that we get back.

I'll leave it there.

valmarg
pigletwillie
KG Regular

I wish our roads had as much spent on them as Ireland does. I would love the EU then as well.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Chantal
KG Regular

I think that's probably quite enough of the politics guys, can we get back to the problem of the moles please? :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Val and Piglet,
Now Mother Moderator has spoken you must take this as a yellow card and you know what happens next time!! In a way I agree with both of you but probably for differnt reasons! I suppose thats my pocket money gone for next week!
JB.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

blimey, censorship beckons just like on the "other" forum. 1984
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Thegardnerthatfishes
KG Regular

I'm sure the moderatoes realise where my tongue was planted (firmly in my cheek!)when I posted my last, but I must admit to enjoying rising our nearest and dearest neighbours on the subject of the EU. Xenophobic ... never !!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic