Getting rid of Moles

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Arnie
KG Regular

Hi all,
As usall Johnboy is correct moles/rats/rabbits do not like Weasel's but as they very hard to catch :wink: What you should do is find someone with a ferret and ask for some of there bedding and place in the run and that should do the trick (Honest) :)

Best of Luck

Kevin
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Carole,
Now you think I am extracting the watsit and I truthfully am not. There was an account, quite well documented, in the early days of the HDRA and edited by Lawrence Hills.
I have caught several Weasels in my time but not for releasing. Do you remember the old original milk bottles that had the cardboard sealing cap. Well you lay one of those down with a large chunk of Liver inside.The Weasel go in and will gorge itself and will be too large to get out of the bottle. When it has defocated a couple of time it can get out of the bottle but by this time he is in your cage.
The next thing is find your Milkbottle!!
JB.
Mr Potato Head

I feel that I can safely say i've never read a more bizarre posting on any forum in my life. Keep it up! :shock:

See, there are still things that Google can't tell you!
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Spud,
Google do not have Johnboy, but we do :P and long may it be so.

Kevin
Carole B.
KG Regular

Now it needs an enterprising ferret keeper to set up a mail order supply of mole deterent.Stranger things have happened......
I have a wonderful vision of you,Johnboy,wandering around with milk bottles and chunks of liver.
Carole.
barry.a

yes I agree with johnboy weasel crap seems like a good idea as the weasel may be natural predetor of the mole.
there is also another alternative which i have used with some success, that is using ferret droppings in the same way witch I believe the ferret is the moles arch enemy, many people keep ferrets as pets so the droppings are not to come by.
Tigger
KG Regular

Just to take a different tack on this - my Brittany (it's a dog - was considered to be a spaniel, now classified as a pointer)loves catching moles. She dives into the soil mounds and appears with her catch. My husband (Lyndon) then ties them by the tail to the fence as her record of trophies.

We had eight last year.
valmarg

If I had a mole problem (which I, fortunately, and fingers crossed, do not) I would not give a stuff as to the EU legality of using Jeyes Fluid, or Armillatox. I would drench the area infected by the little buggers!.

I really have no time for the unelected load of crap that sits in Brussels and decides what I can and cannot do in my own back garden!!!!!!!

valmarg

What about essential oils? peppermint? or lemon?

also, I worked at a wildlife/bird sanctuary and we had to trap weasels, stoats, etc so they didn't predate the birds. They were attracted by ground layers such as pheasants. Generally they had to be dispatched. Got one about twice a week. You could ask somewhere like that if you have one close by.
Wellie
KG Regular

Geoff Hamilton decided that " Moles are almost impossible to keep out of the garden," and his own experience led him to believe "that smoke drives them off only temporarily, and the trick of making the tunnels uncomfortable by filling them with holly leaves simply makes them dig another tunnel elsewhere." He never mentioned Gravel....!

Control to do with strong smells, such as garlic seem to feature here and there, and....

Years ago, I did read a few bits and bobs that've stuck....
Being that you should avoid flattening ground or earthmounds made by mole-disturbance, as this only leads them to 're-create' those passageways elsewhere instead. Generally within that same territory.
And, that moles tend not to go anywhere near areas where Euphorbia is planted, (perhaps the roots excrete smelly toxins from that sticky milky substance you get on your hands when the stems are cut ???)

I'd love to think that any of that might be of the slightest help, but won't hold my breath just in case!
Good Luck,
Wellie

Valmarg,
All well and good whilst its your garden.

I guess you don't like birds and wildlife and would rather kill them all.

If you have pets I hope you get a huge vets bill for poisoning them.

If not, and I ever buy your house and I grow something and get poisoned - I will find you and sue you.

Its nothing to do with Brussels its pure common sense.
Mr Potato Head

Whilst you or I might not appreciate Valmarg's comments, I won't tolerate personal threats on this forum. :x

Keep it civil please folks. 8)
Railway Child
KG Regular

Further to the above comments about using ferret poo to deter moles/rabbits/rats, in my experience putting ferret dung in to rabbit/rat holes (don't know about moles as I don't seem to have any) is futile as the critters don't seem to be at all bothered by it. The same goes for walking the ferrets round/into the holes.

A farmer friend has told me that rabbits and especially rats will not be deterred by the smell of ferrets and only a face-to-face meeting will have any effect.

Thus I now have a "boy with a gun" that undertakes my critter control, but how do you find a mole to shoot it?!
valmarg

Yes cowardly annonymous oik, it is perfectly all right when it is my own back garden what I do there.

I love birds, and feed them all the year round. The birds here are some of the best fed in the country. I would disagree with the national statistics regarding the decline of sparrows and starlings, but who am I (a philistine gardener) to argue with national statistics!

Could you also explain to me why Armillatox was approved by the monsterous EU to be approved as a soil disinfectant, particularly for vine weevil eggs, and then all of a sudden it was withdrawn? Could it have been something to do with the astronomical cost that was needed to register Armillatox for this purpose?

I can assure you that if you could afford to buy our house, you would most definitely not get poisoned by anything that was grown on the premises. When it comes to anything we eat, no pesticides/insecticides are used.

You really are a moron if you are stupid enough to believe that Brussels has nothing to do with the state of gardening in this country. The really great oxymoron you state is "Its nothing to do with Brussles its pure common sense". Brussels and common sense are a million,trillion miles apart!!!

Get a life!!!!

valmarg
Beccy
KG Regular

That is NOT a civil response. It is also off topic. Perhaps you should both re-read the forum etiquette.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic