Is this a friend or foe

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

longpod
KG Regular

I have found a white slug type insect with brown tip curled up in the soil, opened up it would be about an inch long, not slimy like a slug, can anyone recognise my description, as I cannot find a photograph of it, is this a friend or foe, and what is it please. longpod :(
Chantal
KG Regular

Is this the little horror?

I sincerely hope not because it it is, you've got Vine Weevils. FOE :shock:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Chantal,
My thoughts went to Vine Weevil immediately.
In France they have been there for centuries and somehow they do not seem to cause the infestations that we get in UK. Still an awful pest though.
Hi Longpod,
Super part of the world where you are. I lived for a year at Trebas not that far from you as my year out from Univ more than thirty years ago.
I am due to sell up here and have a notion that I will end up in Tarn somewhere.
I used to go to the evening concerts that they held in the Cathedral. Do they still hold them?
JB.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Or this?Image
A cutworm?
No, I can see you said it's white. Probably vine weevil then. Are these really a problem in the soil outdoors? I thought they were only a problem in pots.
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Longpod,
try looking for chafer grub pictures. They usually inhabit grassland but will go for other things and places if they have to.
Regards Sally Wright.
Monika
KG Regular

Last year, after planting out some herbs from pots, I found quite a few vine weevil grubs in the allotment soil around them but found no trace of them during this autumn's digging or, indeed, any damage on plants during the summer. So maybe, as Organic Freak says, they are only a problem in pots?!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Jenny,
Certainly in Nurseries Vine Weevil are a manace in potted stock and I think you are very correct in believing that they do not pose such a threat in open ground.
Having said that a friend of mine wondered why his Rhubarb was looking awfully sick and he sort of touched the plant and it didn't have a root on it.
When he lifted it clear he exposed literally a hundred or so Vine Weevil. Now that is the only example of this kind that I know of.
You are aware of the problems I had in the Nursery some years back and the infestation on the nursery next door was horrific. There they had even got into the hedgerows and ground but even then they didn't seem to harm the hedgerow atall. It cost megabucks to clear that ground but even today I still get the sporadic outbreaks which are quite easily resolved.
Although my vegetables are grown in land adjoining the nursery I have never had a problem with with VW.
They are an awful pest but I feel that they really are not that much to worry about in open ground.
JB.
PS Please change back to being Just You as I refuse to look upon you as a freak!
Jenny Green
KG Regular

I quite like being a freak, JB, sorry! (I lead quite a boring life, you see.)
I think maybe there are vine weevil predators in the open ground that the vine weevils are protected from in pots.
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Jenny 'the organic freak' Green, i think you could have a very valid point about natural preditors keeping vine weevils under control in open ground.
Funny how nature lends us a helping hand sometimes, don't you think. :wink:
Bet your lifes not really boring. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Jenny,
So Freak it will be. I think that you could well be very right in what you say. I was quoting the exception rather than the rule with the Rhubarb.
In my vegetable patch I cannot recall anything that could remotely be put down to Vine Weevil even when the nursery stock a few feet away took a real hammering.
Sincerely,
JB.
Organic Dave
KG Regular

Looks like you've discovered a chafer grub larvae. The only other possibility is the larvae of the vine weevil, but these are not nearly as big or as long as the specimen you've found. Don't panic however, as both can be easily controlled with biological pest control nematodes, available from the best horticultural mail order companies. Nemasys H controls the vine weevil larvae, and Chafer Grub Killer does exactly as you'd expect! Look to apply the vine weevil larvae killer in March or September to November (you can use it anytime between these dates but you'll disrupt the life cycle the most by sticking to early/late dates. The Chafer Grub Killer has a smaller application window - August and early September. Good luck!
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Pardon my ignorance, Jenny, but your picture looks very much like a leatherjacket, the larva of the daddy-long-legs [crane fly to the cognoscenti].

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
vivie veg
KG Regular

My rule of thumb is that if it looks vaguely like a caterpillar, i.e. small head and long squiggy body then it probably eats LOTS of vegetative matter (leaves or roots) and will get thrown to the ducks or chickens. I may be wrong, but preditors tend to be more active and will have longer legs.

I NEVER give the ducks and chickens 'convict' caterpillars though...these have yellow and black stripped bodies, as these accumulate the poison from it's host plant and so will be very toxic for the birds.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Belinda
KG Regular

Hi Vivie Veg,

Your 'convict caterpillars' sound vey much like those of the cinnabar moth - http://www.haworth-village.org.uk/natur ... sp?pic=127
alan refail
KG Regular

On the whole, if chickens won't like it, they don't eat it. Mine won't touch cabbage white caterpillars, though they are too fond of the cabbages :!:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic