Mildew. Help!

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

pickledtink
KG Regular

My winter squash patch is covered. I just cut away all of the worst affected leaves but it's really bad and I dare not take off any more if I'm going to save the plants and my fruit.
I need to do something urgently if I'm not to lose the lot.
Any organic method preferably but at this stage I don't care! :(
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Try a solution of one part milk to 9 parts water and spraying it on the leaves, Bicarb is also said to work but not sure of the concentration.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
pickledtink
KG Regular

Thanks. I was already thinking of doing that but you decided me. I was wondering about making a weak mix of bicarb , milk and water combined but for now I've just made up the milk mix and sprayed. I just hope it works. *fingers crossed*
Zena
KG Regular

I think my courgettes have got "powdery mildew"! the leaves have gone all grey.......

as they're nearly finished anyway, should I worry?

and can I compost the leaves?
Wellie
KG Regular

Will it kill the plants?

Somehow I doubt it....
unless of course the attack is vicious.
Susceptable plants do succumb at this time of year, and it is fairly common, no?
It always happens at this time of year, and we always 'expect' it....
which is why probably most of us just cut off the worst affected leaves and deal with it accordingly.
Cut them off and bin them and keep growing or harvesting as usual. The plant will eventually run out of steam, naturally.
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic