Galinsoga Parviflora

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Chantal
KG Regular

Our site has been invaded with Galinsoga Parviflora (Gallant Soldier I think is the common name). It's confined to 3 plots but is truly awful. It grows from seed and rhizomes and can cover a plot in weeks. The plotholders pull it out by the sackload and have been advised to black bag and bin it as it can't be burnt (for fear of seeds blowing around), composted or dug in. Our local Council has recommended liming the soil and using Glysophate, neither of which seems to be helping. It comes out of the soil easily enough so if weeded every day is manageable but when someone goes on holiday their entire plot can be covered by the time they return.

We've all been warned not to go on each others plots to avoid the weed spreading further.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Chantal
Last edited by Chantal on Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Chantal,
I have to admit I have never heard of this plant before , I had a look on Google and the there is a lot of info about your invader. It's common name is Gallant Soldier, and it's from the Asteraceae family, also known as Quickweed.

Hope this is of some help

Kevin
Chantal
KG Regular

Thanks Kevin

I too had a look on Google some months ago but found little further information (you are right about the common name, I remembered after I'd left the post, I've changed it). The guys who've been invaded seem to be getting nowhere with eradication; I'm wondering how I can prevent it getting me. It seems that one plot was infected by the owner walking on his infected plot and carrying dirt on his shoes to his other clean plot 100 yards away. He walks past my plot every time he's there as I'm between his two and I'm getting paranoid that he'll drop soil which I'll tread in and walk into my plot. Changing shoes/wellies everytime I walk out of my gate is just not practical.

Chantal
Chantal

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Chantal,
I ask, exceedingly politely, if you have identified your weed 100%.
Gallant Soldier and it's sibling Shaggy Soldier are both Annuals and there is no mention of them being rhizomatic. They are both imports from South America.
My information is that though widespread,they are really confined to the South East.
May I suggest that they bear a very great resemblance to Enchanters Nightshade which is a Perennial and bears white stolon (very easily mistaken for rhizomes). There are three varieties of EN. EN itself, Alpine and Upland. EN common throughout except far north, but the other two are
found in hilly western districts from South Wales Northwards and the other from Gloucestershire Northwards respectively. So the last two could certainly be with you.
Hope this assists you.
JB.
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Johnboy

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't the one who identified this weed, it was our Chairman (who sadly died a couple of weeks ago so I can't find out how he identified it). I'm the Secretary and was asked to find a picture of the thing and put up a notice warning people about it, which I did. The photo that I found on the internet looks identical to the weeds which are smothering these 3 plots; I'll do some more checking when it regrows as it's dormant at present. I'll take a photo and post it on here (if I can find out how it all works) when it's in flower again. I'd love to be told it's something more manageable!

Chantal
Chantal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic