Broad bean problem

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Redkite
KG Regular

Can anyone help me to identify what has caused this to our broad beans? Is it a pest? Or stress? I’ve not seen anything like this in our beans before and it has affected about 10% of our pods. I’ve not found anything crawling around inside!

557EECB9-8612-4410-BDFF-90636CD16C21.jpeg
557EECB9-8612-4410-BDFF-90636CD16C21.jpeg (3.03 MiB) Viewed 8152 times
Paul M, Leeds
Monika
KG Regular

It looks like a mould. Wherever you are, perhaps you had a lot of rain? Too late for this year, but I would certainly avoid growing any legumes in that same area next year.
Or is the white stuff on the actual bean the same 'soft bedding' as the inside of the pod?
Any unusual marks on the outside of the pod?
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum Redkite!

How very strange, it looks like the wee inner green pod has decided to pop out without you have to boil it for a second. I'm saying 'boil' intentionally as around the pods the fluffy lining looks to have a bigger bubble like texture rather than the normal tighter matting. I have not experienced it nor seen it before so looking forward to the replies as well.
Westi
Redkite
KG Regular

The white stuff is the “soft bedding” of the inside of the pod. It looks to me like the inner bean (inner being!!!) has expanded and popped it’s skin. I can’t see any signs of anything invading the pod, they all look intact. The problem pods aren’t from just one plant either but from a number of plants. The beans have been “naturally” watered since flowering ie by rainfall and the soil is good at retaining moisture so I don’t think it is water plants are otherwise very healthy and have produced a good crop this year. It is a variety we have used before many times. I’ve never seen this before!
Paul M, Leeds
Monika
KG Regular

Sorry, I am stumped. Sally Wright, we need you here!
Geoff
KG Regular

I've no idea either. The only thought is that something has nibbled the bean soon after it has set and then left, pod has continued growing and hidden the evidence, as the attachment point hasn't been damaged the bean has continued developing but deformed.
Primrose
KG Regular

Haven't grown broad beans for a while but don't recall ever having had that problem. Suspect Geoff may be right. Guess it's manageable if only one plant is affected but a real pain if the problem has spread across the entire crop.
Janet K. Sullivan
KG Regular

What is this I don`t know!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic