Warmer temperatures bring new bug threats

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I see the RHS are reporting that higher temperatures are bringing new threats to tomato plants, amongst others, with the potential arrival of the brown marmorated stink bug to gardens as well as glasshouses , apparently hibernating in homes during winter around window frames and releasing a foul smell.

Apparently another potential threat of spreading is xylella. Apparently if this disease is found in the UK all host plants with 100 yards would be destroyed and there would be restrictions on the movement of plants within a three mile radius for five years, "sounding a death knell for gardens, garden centres and nurseries".

Wonder if the Department of Agriculture or whatever it calls itself these days (DEFRA?)has picked this one up and is developing contra measures?. Seems it isn't just Coronavirus affecting the human population we have to be concerned about!
Westi
KG Regular

Blimey, that is a worry. I wonder if the potential threat is being noticed as the flaff of getting plant passports & the extra demand will lead to folk sneaking in plants hidden in other consignments? I have read something; somewhere about the stink bug but not xylella. Maybe we need to be like Australia & get really tough on people who risk the natural flora & fauna & the uniqueness of the UK habitats? We (generic), do a pretty good job of ruining the habitats ourselves, quite a lot of disregard around the new fast railway path for example.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

The new invasions seem to come thick and fast.

I see today the RHS are now warning against the American skunk cabbage which is spreading through the by wyeValley. apparently they have banned this invasive aquatic plant from its shows and removed it from its gardens and ald also their website due to its negative effects on native plants. it is now widespread in Scotland and the Lake District and The New Forest crowding out native wildflowers like bluebells and wood anemones.

Can,t recall what it looks like. Must look it up, although obviously not on the RHS website ! !
Primrose
KG Regular

Just looked it up and discover I recognise it but didn,t know its name.

apparently American skunk cabbage is a colourful plant posing a difficult challenge at Bedgebury National Pinetum and Forest, where it is now blocking drainage channels.

Google tells me that Biosecurity Minister Lord Gardiner visited the area to see first-hand how this plant has had an impact on the woodlands. He then assisted Forestry England and volunteers in digging out this invasive non-native plant.
Westi
KG Regular

This is probably just the tip of the iceberg of potential threats but good to see at least the Minister for Biosecurity is willing to get out & get his hands dirty to try to fix it, but hope it's not too little, too late.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic