Hollow cabbages

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Chantal
KG Regular

For the first time ever, I've had some hollow cabbages.

They were roundhead white cabbages, gifted to me as seedlings to fill a gap. Thank goodness I had a full bed of good ones elsewhere!

I planted them, put slug pellets around them and then covered them in enviromesh. They grew large, they looked fabulous. People walking by commented on how good they looked. And then I pulled them.

The outside layers were perfect with no damage but the insides were totally eaten away. Only the occasional tiny slug around.

Still stunned!
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Monika
KG Regular

Voles? Mice? Though there would have to be an entrance hole .......
Chantal
KG Regular

No entrance hole of any sort. I didn't notice anything wrong until I grabbed hold of it and it was very lightweight. Then I found I could just push the sides in! There was 6 like this.
Chantal

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Chantal, had they definitely been eaten, or could they have grown like that? I have had them before, where they grow but don't make any heart but, are really good looking cabbages!!!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

I guess that's possible OH.

When I planted them, despite putting down pellets and netting, something stripped them bare, but they came back really strong, or so I thought. As I'd slotted them in a gap next to my Tuscan kale, I was happy that it was the cabbage being scoffed as I had plenty more cabbages elsewhere and prefer the kale.

Maybe that was the problem.
Chantal

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Now that is interesting about the plants being stripped bare, Chantal...i'm wondering if the very growing tip has been damaged but, some of the outer leaves have kept growing, making them look like a solid cabbage!!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

It's certainly a theory OH. No-one I've spoken to has ever seen anything like it.

They made good compost. Sigh...
Chantal

peter
KG Regular

Carefully handled you could have stuffed them?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Chantal
KG Regular

Carefully would have been the word! There was only 2 or 3 leaves around the massive hole in the middle. :(
Chantal

Monika
KG Regular

You know how one sometimes gets 'blind' cauliflowers, Chantal? It sounds as if your cabbages did something similar, that is, not forming a central 'bud' but the leaves just growing around it. Was it lack of water in spring, perhaps? Sally Wright might have a scientific explanation!
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Monika, anything is possible I guess, but they were well watered, that's one thing I'm good at! :)
Chantal

Monika
KG Regular

I just a quick snifter on Google about 'blind cabbages' and 'too much nitrogen' is given as one possible cause .....
Chantal
KG Regular

Interesting.

I didn't give these cabbages any feed. have quite high raised beds filled with well rotted compost out of our bins, which include lots of horse muck.

They were grown in the same medium as all the other cabbages, which were/are fine. It was just this little group of 6.
Chantal

Monika
KG Regular

Chantal, a quote from Dr Hessayon's Vegetable and Herb Expert book:

There are several reasons why cabbage plants fail to heart. Too little organic matter in the soil and too little compaction of the ground before planting are common reasons. So is failing to plant the seedlings firmly. Drought increases the risk; so does a shady site. Proper feeding will help, but use a balanced fertiliser, or a potassium-rich soluble feed, and not straight nitrogen.

Hope that helps.
Chantal
KG Regular

Thanks Monika, I don't think I'm guilty of any of those sins. The bed had been topped from the compost bin; I stamped around on the soil to firm before planting; watered, then firmed around the plants; the bed is in full sun; I only used growmore on the bed.

I honestly think, somehow, that they were scoffed on the inside. I just don't know how or by what!
Chantal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic