Brambles and Grass weedkiller

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Julesuk
KG Regular

Can you kill grass in late autumn / Winter with a glyphosphate weedkiller ?
I only ask as I wouldnt normally weedkill this late but grass grows above 5deg C so it would work would it not ?

I know it will work in the spring onwards but madly after a whole season of trying
Vinegar, Salt and whatever I now need to rid a large patio area of grass and weeds.

whats think ?
Hayter 10/30
Stihl FS55
Westi
KG Regular

If you can get a long enough dry spell it could work but they say no rain for so many hours on the instructions & I think fog, mist & frost could fall into that & make it ineffective. If you're a non-smoker & like car fumes the guy over the road keeps his brick drive clear of weeds with petrol & swears by it & if the proof is in the pudding his brickwork remains weed free all year. I've never seen it recommended anywhere & I have never smelt it & walk past almost daily. He just uses one of those pump sprayers.

I've no idea of it's credentials on the soil so you would check that, but if a patio & not a growing space & no run off into a waterway might be no worse than weedkiller???
Westi
Julesuk
KG Regular

thanks ... I'll wait till spring but j agree
it's all on a few days dry spell .
annaoyed I didnt suss what to use till too
late in season.
I'm sure after one weedkill I'll be able to keep
under control with a vinegar solution....
but to get to there it needs some power
Hayter 10/30
Stihl FS55
Julesuk
KG Regular

1l of glyphospahte bought.
Obviously from.march to september best times but for grass as it grows above 5deg C I might try one application of it is to be dry for say 3-4 days.

I read somewhere that it might take 5-6 weeks in winter but it will be gone by spring.

will inform
Hayter 10/30
Stihl FS55
Tony Hague
KG Regular

When applied in summer at least, you only need a couple of hours without rain for it to be effective. You of course want proper glyphpsate, eg Roundup 360, rather than the common or garden centre homeopathic dilutions. It works best in late summer or early autumn for perennial stuff, when it gets taken back down to the roots, but I guess you know that.
Julesuk
KG Regular

I have been using sbk for years
and it works fine on weeds but of course I
have realised late this year it is no good
on grass , indeed doesnt kill grass.

i thus have to suffer a winter garden not in
perfect condition .......
I am.armed and ready now at least. got mine off ebay.

thanks for info
Hayter 10/30
Stihl FS55
Geoff
KG Regular

You are probably right to wait, I've finally remembered to check some dandelions I sprayed about three weeks ago and they are still green and healthy looking.
Julesuk
KG Regular

I did read somewhere on the net .... a chap with a big garden who sprayed in winter.
I think he said it takes longer 6-7 weeks but the weeds (and grass) wont be there in the spring . Said something ab8ut it being better as weeds not seeding.

if I see 4 dry days and its warmish in front of me I'm gonna do a test.
Hayter 10/30
Stihl FS55
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic