Yellow blisters

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

cornish64
KG Regular

Hi I have yellow blisters on my kale (Nero
Can anyone enlighten me on what to do,thanks
Monika
KG Regular

Do you really mean BLISTERS, cornish64? Or sort of holes in the leaves with a thin membrane still there? A photo might help.
Westi
KG Regular

I have this strange thing on my cabbage leaves. It is like a balloon on one side with a definite hollow on the other side. I have seen it before but not in the numbers like this year. A couple of small ones on some of the cauliflower leaves but nothing on the kale as yet, but feel it might meet Cornish's description.
IMG_5330.JPG
IMG_5330.JPG (3.11 MiB) Viewed 5320 times
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

This is 2 separate ones I did not pick the balloon thing out of this hole, it's balloon/blister is poking out under. I even put my specs on to look for any evidence of inhabitants but nothing found.
Westi
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Cornish,
what you have there is called oedema, it is usually due to too much water. If you are watering stop, but other than that there's not much you can do. It is not really harmful to the plants (or you) but it does look bad.
Regards Sally Wright.
Geoff
KG Regular

Strange blisters, what you need is a really healthy early brassica patch like mine!

IMG_4422.JPG
IMG_4422.JPG (3.82 MiB) Viewed 5288 times
Monika
KG Regular

Oh, Geoff, what on earth has gone wrong - or is that all the debris left behind after a brilliant harvest?
Geoff
KG Regular

They are mainly calabrese that we got good heads from then left to produce side shoots then they went like that instead. The odd greener bits are the last few of a batch of close planted cauliflowers that have done reasonably well. I'll strip the lot out shortly. I am raising some of the free Chinese kale that came with the last KG and was going to put them in there but I might think again. The late greens bed at the other end of the garden is fine.
Westi
KG Regular

Blimey Geoff! Shame you got no side shoots but at least you got the head. My calabrese forgot they were supposed to give me a head so I just got the shoots on 3 plants but still tasty & a crop at least. I'm sitting on my hands for sowing any Chinese brassica's just yet as i know it will be a disaster & they will just bolt while the temp continues to rise.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic