Broadbean crop disappeared over night

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Waltersm
KG Regular

Can anyone help solve a mystery? Over night my broadbean crop has disappeared. They have to be without a trace and the plants do not look to have been disturbed. It is highly unlikely that this was a person. This also happened 2 years ago.
Monika
KG Regular

That sounds like human activity to me, especially if the plants are not disturbed. I would think any animal (rabbit, badger?) would make a mess of the plants as well as taking the pods. We have had rooks taking the beans in previous years but they also pulled the plants about.
retropants
KG Regular

I agree, sounds like human pilfering to me. Animals wouldn't take the whole lot and leave it all undisturbed. Sorry this happened to you.
Westi
KG Regular

I would say naughty people as well, but inexperienced naughty people as some of the beans would not be full enough of beans & even ready to harvest. I get it now & again on the plot & it is really easy to spot the wildlife damage to the human! I once had whole rows of spuds taken with the plants in a nice pile at the end of the row! Fortunately for me they pulled & grubbed so missed loads!

Welcome to the forum btw Walter - I'm not going to put the sm on the end as the predictive text is in overload tonight! ;)
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Bit late now but all you can try is hoeing before you leave (assuming we are talking allotment not garden) and looking for footprints.
Stephen
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of the scrumping. Shame on them.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic