Leek Miner?

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stephen
KG Regular

IMG_20191110_110143[1].jpg
IMG_20191110_110143[1].jpg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 7865 times
IMG_20191110_110133[1].jpg
IMG_20191110_110133[1].jpg (4.7 MiB) Viewed 7865 times
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm not sure Stephen but, very dissappointing for you....I take it they are your Leeks?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Looks more like white rot to me, although I get it in my onions the leeks are OK so I'm not sure what it looks like.
robo
KG Regular

I thought leek minor left brown marks all over the leeks where they burrowed in
Westi
KG Regular

The RHS says maybe? The miner gets in the stems, but the cause of death of the plant is secondary infection and rot. I have leek moth which at least you can keep out with mesh put on when planted & kept on until the 2nd breeding season is over in October.
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

OH: Yes my leeks :(
Geoff: I have had white onion rot (I think) before but that was more than 7 years ago, since when I have not grown onions on that area. But it certainly has the characteristics.
Robo: Yes, and I had those brown streaks last year but the leeks didn't collapse like this. (which might mean Geoff is right).
Westi: I, too, looked at the RHS site. I have brought some of the debris home but haven't steeled myself to examine it carefully.
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Stephen, we suffer from Allium Leaf Miner and have done for some years. Our leeks don't look like yours. The miner lays something like a small dark brown grain of rice, which then starts off under the first layor of leek and heads for the roots. Once there, it moves in a layer and heads back up the stem, then down again and so on, stitching it's way in. They leave long thin orange stripes where they have been and I can't see these on your photos. If you cut the leeks open, you'll find the little blighters lurking within. The plant does keel over eventually, and it stinks, but it takes some time. You can pull what you think is a healthy leek, only to find you can only eat one side of it, if you are lucky. Most have to be binned. Hope this helps. :?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Primrose
KG Regular

My leeks were looking pretty healthy until a week ago but are now looking As if thy could easily collapse on me. Can,t see any sign of insects. Wonder if it,s the sheer amount of rain we,ve had which is causing them to rot. Our normally fast drying soil is simply sodden.
Westi
KG Regular

My crop has slimy outside layers which I totally attribute to the rain. Inside is just fine but the slimy stuff outside is a nuisance & a great looking leek is a mini leek in a blink. Grateful though I have a crop & a bit of dry coming up but I doubt they can regenerate from the damage. Finally I'm glad I plant too many but objective was to have some left over & heeled in for the bees. Don't panic the globe artichokes are well happy so the bees will have a nectar source!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I have the same Westi slimmy on the outside ok after taking a few skins off which I normally do anyway
Stephen
KG Regular

I think this shows it is miner.
IMG_20191221_180554.jpg
IMG_20191221_180554.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 7386 times

I confess I have been ignoring them but lifted a bundle this afternoon.
Westi
KG Regular

The black dots say yes, but not many so you may be able to retrieve something from the inside layers. I saw a pic on some site or another & they had so many black dots they would never get anything. Maybe you got attacked a bit later than them, but regardless it is disappointing. But I hope you can retrieve something, even if the upper leaves which are a bit tougher but cook them longer & perfectly OK & you still get some use from the crop which takes quite a bit of space & time, so you do want something for your investment!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Thanks Westi
Yes, a few will make soup but I think that is about it.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I have a theory on this...i'm not totally convinced it's Leek Miner but, i'm wondering if it is more down to weather conditions this year, as some of mine are turning out to have the same symptoms. So, my theory is, it might be down to that very long dry spell of weather in the Summer, followed by some exceptionally heavy rains, that made the layers of leeks split as they swelled too quick, then constant rain, that sat in the splits ad started the leeks to rot. Just a thought....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic